• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW - Now Is My Opportunity

alcon

With the announcement that GW will again be taking orders and I've come into some extra $$$, now is my opportunity to finally buy a new GW A-2. Looking at the GW site and reading all of the GW posts here, it is difficult to decide on which of the many GW jackets to select. To make my selection easier, which 3 or 4 jackets, in order of your preferance, should I give the most consideration. Thanks

Roughwear

I think if we all list our top three your task may be even more difficult! John makes excellent jackets and only you can decide what to order.

Dr H

I think Andrew is right, you're unlikely to get much consensus, but:
Doniger for comfort, Perry 23377 for looks, SAT for the pockets, 1939 Werber.

greyhound52

Doniger and SAT I have had both jackets still have the SAT and they are amazing jackets. Of course all are amazing so you will be a winner no matter what you get

better duck

Roughwear said:
I think if we all list our top three your task may be even more difficult! John makes excellent jackets and only you can decide what to order.
I agree! the jackets - apart from general and detailed appearance - are all a little bit different in body fit, so one important aspect that is essential to know in order to advise you correctly, is your build! We can all go into the pros and cons of the shape of collars and pocketflaps, the large or small X-stitching on the shoulder straps and so on, but if the jacket doesn't fit you, these details are useless.
So mail or talk to John and make a first selection (short list) based on general shape and fit in regard to your bodyshape. Only then look at the details, the colour, the structure of the hide, and decide which brand and contractnumber.

johnwayne

Doniger for me, Perry next and then a SAT (got the first, working on the second, not sure I'd go for the third but do think it looks cool)!!

Cheers
Wayne

Roughwear

Having owned several GW A2s, I currently own a Doniger made from the new veg tanned Indian goatskin, which is as close to WW2 goatskin as one will get these days and is a really sharp jacket. I also own two Dubows, one russet and one seal, which are also excellent stylist jackets. The SAT is a fuller jacket, but is also a great repro as are all his current offerings.