• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GW goatskin

SuinBruin

Andrew, your photos speak volumes. It's tough to imagine a closer match with vintage A-2 hide.

Personally, I think goat is the ultimate jacket leather. I have an earlier GW Bronco in goat and I love the hide. I think if I had to pick just one A-2 (shudder) I'd go with goatskin.

derleicaman

Interesting to note that the ultra vintage goat and the dark russett is chrome tanned according to John's web site, rather than vegetable for everything else. Was chrome tanning ever used for the original WWII goat? Did chrome tanning exist back then? John notes that the chrome tanned goat has a soft hand to it. Again, is this a result of the chrome tanning?
I have a GW Cable in the new Indian goat and an older GW Bronco and a GW Dubow in the original French goat. The older jackets I obtained second hand from folks here on VLJ, the Cable goat new from John. Here's my impression of the two hides. The older goat has a larger grain or pebble size to the grain, and the hide itself seems to be more supple (softer hand). The French hide also has a higher gloss to it. The suppleness may be due to the fact that the second hand jackets were more broken in. The newer Indian hide has a finer grain, a slightly different and duller color to it. The hide was a tad cardboardy brand new. After a season of wear, the arms have broken in nicely and are very supple. The back and front panels of the body are still a bit stiff, but not overly so. Hoping they "soften up" a bit with more wear. I think I need to wear this jacket in some rain! For sure, the goat does not show wear or break in any where near as quick as HH.

Talisker

derleicaman said:
Interesting to note that the ultra vintage goat and the dark russett is chrome tanned according to John's web site, rather than vegetable for everything else. Was chrome tanning ever used for the original WWII goat? Did chrome tanning exist back then?

It seems to be commonly accepted that WW2 leather was vegetable tanned, but I'm not so sure. Chrome tanning is a much quicker process for a start and they had to mass produce jackets in high numbers. If you look at the unfinished side of the leather on originals, it more often than not seems to be tonally the same as the top finish which seems indicative of chrome tanning. Areas of wear often show through with a dark discolouration as well. There's also the matter of how soft the leather is, if you look at footage of original jackets being worn they move with the wearer in a way that suggests the jackets are quite supple. Of course these are just observations on my part and I could be completely off the mark. I've never handled an original, so those that have probably have a better perspective.

blackrat2

Andrew thanks for the pics...I can only assume that not many people have gone for goat..it does look pretty close to my eye,guess John has nailed it

ButteMT61

Roughwear said:
and comparing 2011 goatskin with the 1942 goatskin used to make my no name original Doniger.

Andrew: Can you tell me which hide # from JC's site this is? I have samples, and they're all numbered, etc. Just trying to nail down my upcoming order...

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

PLATON said:
this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif
I think it's funny :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cobblers161

+1 on what ButtMT61 said, which hide is it Andrew? The reddish dark russet brown LGI103 or the ultra-vintage dark russet brown LGI104?

Thanks in advance!

Stef

I'm pretty sure Andrew's Doniger is made with LGI102 (ligh russet brown goatskin)

cheers

-----------------
Stef

Dr H

Stef said:
I'm pretty sure Andrew's Doniger is made with LGI102 (ligh russet brown goatskin)

cheers

-----------------
Stef

Yes, it's light russet brown goatskin (LGI102, I have one on order myself) - John avers this is the closest match of his goatskins to the original Doniger.

The Perry 23377 that I sold recently is LGI103 (reddish dark russet brown) and is a very close match for the unexposed areas (e.g. pocket interiors) of the original Perrys that I've had.

I've not seen the LGI104 (ultra vintage dark russet brown) other than in images. I liked it (it appears to resemble the weathered Doniger that John cloned several years ago), but I understand that it's in short supply - I enquired recently when placing the Doniger order.

Cobblers161

Thanks for clearing that up, I assumed it was one of the other hides as he praises the darker stuff on page 1 of this thread.