• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green A-2!!

asiamiles

Am guessing this jacket by leading Japanese punk wear maker Rotar won't find too many admirers on here, but hey...
Had it been cheap-ish I must admit I'd have probably put in a bid, but not I think at high-end repro price.

Steerhide, which most if not all "coloured" leather jackets seem to be...does this mean horsehide doesn't take well to certain dye colours?

rotara2.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
Steerhide, which most if not all "coloured" leather jackets seem to be...does this mean horsehide doesn't take well to certain dye colours?

I haven't heard that, Miles, it seems to come in every colour imaginable. I just had a pair of vivid blue, horsehide, Trickers boots on eBay watch ... like the colour that VW was so fond of painting the MK IV Golf GTI.

And with white stitching ... what was I thinking? :?

asiamiles

Coincidentally, I've been hoping to pick up some Tricker's Mud Guard Chuka Boots; seems like they're made for the Japanese market only, but sold out in my size, not that I'd risk buying any online, as the UK~Japanese sizing doesn't quite correspond. I'll probably order some cheaper Sanders from the UK instead.

Whenever I see 2-tone jackets from the 50's they usually seem to be Steerhide, and today's Japanese coloured leather jackets (ie. not some shade of brown or black) always seem to be steerhide as well, so I figured the hides must take the dyes differently.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... and today's Japanese coloured leather jackets (ie. not some shade of brown or black) always seem to be steerhide as well, so I figured the hides must take the dyes differently.

I didn't save the site, but Trickers were trying out horsehide from an Italian tannery with an amazing variety.

Perhaps the steerhide just costs less. :)

MikeyB-17

asiamiles said:
Am guessing this jacket by leading Japanese punk wear maker Rotar won't find too many admirers on here, but hey...

rotara2.jpg

I'm not averse to certain shades of green, but that, I have to say, is utterly, vomit-inducingly hideous-worse than the green G-1's Schott were selling a few years ago. Peter was quite taken with those, though, so this ought to be up his street! :lol:

asiamiles

Looking at Rotar's site, it seems to be a dark racing green...the use of flash for these pics has made the jacket look more garish that it actually is. It's also available in black, an overly bright blue, and a dark navy blue. You can see them in the Spring 2009 collection here:

http://www.the-rotar.com/

kevlarg

rt710912105_54_01.jpg

I didn't see the bright blue one but here is a pic of the navy a-2. I aslo found a pair of dickie's shorts that have that big single pocket on the but like the P-43 USMC trousers...interesting.

asiamiles

That's a slightly different model. Actually, the jacket seems exactly the same but they've just added "Rotar" to the left chest and a picture of a Panda(?!) to the back. The plain one is on the 8th row down on the left.

http://www.the-rotar.com/mania/200901/200901_menu.html#

I think the dark blue and green one look quite okay; the cut is a little different from original A-2's but they provide a variation on the theme and the extra length is useful...maybe not so dissimilar to the black Mobil Armer one I just sold.

MikeyB-17

The blue and the black are OK, Pandas notwithstanding, but I still think that green is vile-and the bright blue's not great either. There's some quite nice stuff there though.

asiamiles

MikeyB-17 said:
The blue and the black are OK, Pandas notwithstanding, but I still think that green is vile-and the bright blue's not great either. There's some quite nice stuff there though.
I'm partial to green leather. I already have a Dry Bones green leather jacket, and love the green A-1 that someone on here has. I might try and pop along to Yellow Ruby and take a look at these in person, just to see what the quality is like.

After stupidly missing out on a reasonably priced two-tone (black & white) Real McCoy's Buco J-100 a few days ago I'm now tempted by this used Rotar two-tone cafe racer:
rotar2tone.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
After stupidly missing out on a reasonably priced two-tone (black & white) Real McCoy's Buco J-100 a few days ago I'm now tempted by this used Rotar two-tone cafe racer:
rotar2tone.jpg

Noooo !! :shock:

Wait patiently for another Buco.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
Wait patiently for another Buco.
The prices are too high for me. I'd rather spend that kind of money on something else, esp as the lack of slash pockets on the J-100 are a major minus to me. The one a few days ago was a bargain (relatively speaking) but a 40 so I'd have probably had to sell it anyway.

It's difficult to assess the quality of the Rotar via one photo. They are $1000 jackets, so it should be good, and I like the general design, but it's hard to tell just how "bright" the blue is...I would guess it's a little darker and duller than the photo suggests.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... it's hard to tell just how "bright" the blue is...I would guess it's a little darker and duller than the photo suggests.

Well it's your money, Miles. ;)

I just thought that it might be a nine day wonder, like the Buzz 'Skunk Works' ... you know, another Lockheed disaster.

Peter Graham

MikeyB-17 said:
Peter was quite taken with those, though, so this ought to be up his street! :lol:
Who, me ? Did I say that ? I must have been on the mushies. Miles, are you serious about that blue and white jacket ? Maybe you're on the mushies. :D