• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great selection of cloth squadron and group patches

TankBuster

Actually that is incorrect. There are some known and photographed patches in WW2 that had merrowed edges. There is a long thread about it somewhere over on USMF if you are interested. I tried to find it quickly to add a link but couldn't right now. 506th PIR patches were ww2 produced merrowed edge patches. There are also a few known AAF squadron patches that did indeed have a merrowed edge. Off the top of my head, I know the 510th Fighter Squadron as well as the 77th FS had US made squadron patches with a merrowed edge later in the war. There are quite a few more that were mentioned as well.

a2jacketpatches

Guess I stand corrected. I did some research a while back and some type of machine was introduced in the early 60's that produced merrowed edges. Guess merrowed edge was in place much earlier but supa dupa rare.

EMBLEMHUNTER

These patches are O.K., but if you're looking for accuracy in both colors and details , then they are quite a bit off the mark, compare them to original designs in the Official books and you'll see the difference , if you really don't care much about them being truly correct for the price they're o.k. , I would pass myself .
Just my opinion ........................

a2jacketpatches

Just looked up that info because it was bugging me, I swear I did some serious research one day and found the same thing that the guy in USMF said

Early 60's "The Merrow Sewing Machine Company developed a machine that would put an overlock stitch around the edge of the patch, hence "Merrow Edge".

That being said and if true, merrowed edge was not used in WW2 or Korea, but a machine capable of an overlock stitch around the edge of the patch was used, BUT!!!, extremely rare. The overlock stitched edge WW2 506th patch did ring a bell, and I remember that fact in the same capacity as I remember the merrowed edge production date of early 60's. So technically my answer to 6148th T.C.Squadron's question was correct considering a merrowed edge was introduced in the 60's as opposed to an overlocking stitch around the edge of a patch that was used in the 40's. So Nanny Nanny Nah Nah :lol:

TankBuster

Haha. I was just trying to make sure that people knew there were indeed some WW2 patches made with a merrowed edge style. I just tried again to locate the thread on USMF that had all the great information about when it really started and some of the patches that were made with it. There was some real great information within it. Unfortunately they are reorganizing threads over there and some are in a holding area. I tried finding some other threads over there within the last couple weeks, and have been getting a message about not having permission to view the thread? Anyhow, there were actually more produced with the merrowed style edge than people had thought. I will add to this thread as I find more information from over there.

Here is one thread with a little information about the topic, but not the large one I mentioned previously.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... tch+%2Bww2

If anyone else has information to add to this thread, or can find the thread over there I am thinking of, I would love to see it.