• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great score today!

watchmanjimg

Hello all! Just wanted to share my latest acquisition of a very nice unmolested '60s USAF grouping. I just picked it up from a friend at a local gun show this morning. Enjoy!

A few shots of the magnificent D-model Skyline L-2B:
L2bGrouping014.jpg
L2bGrouping016.jpg

Here are closeups of the 438th Military Airlift Wing and MAC patches, as well as the label:
L2bGrouping017.jpg
L2bGrouping015.jpg

And here's what I found in the sleeve pocket:
L2bGrouping018.jpg

Apparently unworn '64 K-2B flightsuit (if only it were a Medium Short or Regular). The 9th Military Airlift Squadron patch is of particular interest as the unit existed as such for just 20 months (1/66-9/68).
L2bGrouping020.jpg
L2bGrouping021.jpg
L2bGrouping022.jpg

The serviceman's '68-dated fatigue shirt (please excuse my '67-dated feet)
L2bGrouping019.jpg

Finally, the same seller had another L-2B that's unrelated to the grouping shown above. It's a '78, but the body length is very generous and I thought it would be a nice wearer:
L2bGrouping023.jpg
L2bGrouping024.jpg

watchmanjimg

Thanks, Dave! The show was pretty busy so we didn't get a chance to talk about the guy's background. However, the seller is a friend so I can always ask later.

Atticus

Jim, that is a great find!

Probably a dumb question, but what was in the little container you found in the cigarette pocket? I my mind, I keep seeing the cyanide capsule that Francis Gary Powers didn't take.

AF

watchmanjimg

Atticus said:
Jim, that is a great find!

Probably a dumb question, but what was in the little container you found in the cigarette pocket? I my mind, I keep seeing the cyanide capsule that Francis Gary Powers didn't take.

AF

Thanks, Geoff! Your question isn't dumb at all. That's an early Vietnam-era earplug case. I'll have to look inside to see whether it actually contains cyanide. :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
I have the 1978 Alpha, and as you say, it's a great wearer, but that first orange lined Skyline, along with its friends, is something else .... it was a great day. :cool:

deand

You've really been blessed! Great finds! I guess I've never thought of Viet-nam era as so highly collectable, figuring that there would be soo much of it around. A member of the church I serve has her husband's Mid-1960's MA-1, and wanted to give to me, but I turned her down, as it was a medium. Too small to wear. Makes me wish I'd checked out the tag more closely. Might be desirable.

dean

dean

watchmanjimg

deand said:
You've really been blessed! Great finds! I guess I've never thought of Viet-nam era as so highly collectable, figuring that there would be soo much of it around. A member of the church I serve has her husband's Mid-1960's MA-1, and wanted to give to me, but I turned her down, as it was a medium. Too small to wear. Makes me wish I'd checked out the tag more closely. Might be desirable.

dean

dean

Dean, I can understand why you'd think that but I'm sure collectors 20-30 years ago were saying the same thing about WW2 and Korean-era stuff. The 'Nam-era gear is definitely attractive to modern collectors, and like the earlier militaria they're not making any more of it. Grab it while you can! :D

watchmanjimg

greyhound52 said:
Great D model nice score...now where do you put it with all the other jackets you have :D

Thanks, George! Can I assume you're volunteering to "store" some of my jackets? What a pal! ;)

Peter Graham

Great score Jim. L-2B's are one of the most wearable of jackets and patched ones look really good. Wear them in good health buddy.

Maverickson

Hi Jim,

Definitely a great day ! Lucky you, I did not see anything like this over the weekend at our local Gun Show. In any event, I'm glad to see the nylon enthusiasm.

Now that the season is upon us, hardly a day goes by when I am not able to enjoy wearing either a MA-1 or L-2b.

Cheers, Dave

watchmanjimg

Thanks for all the kind words, guys!

Dave, sorry your show experience wasn't as productive as mine but it sounds like you'll have the last laugh in any event. At least you can wear your jackets!