• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great A-2 from B-17 'Wee Willie'

JDAM

Stunning A-2:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-Hand-Pai ... true&rt=nc

This has got to be one of the finest, documented A-2 that I've seen on Ebay in a while. 'Wee Willie', a B-17G-15-BO (serial - 42-31333, coded LG-W) from the 322nd BS, 91st BG. The most famous group in the 8th.

The date was April 8th, 1945 and 'Wee Willie', the oldest operational aircraft in the 91st with over 120 missions, took a direct hit from radar-guided flak. The images of her loss are the pretty well recognized as the most dramatic/sombre of the air war.

crash2.jpg

WeeWIllie-660x435.jpg

crash3.jpg

Peter Graham

Wow, beautiful. I'm glad I didn't see that. I may well have sold my only son to buy it. Considering the providence and the aircraft it's associated with, someone got a good deal. I think it's very sad that the seller would auction their father's A-2 but who knows their personal circumstances so I won't judge. JDAM, did you buy this jacket ?

JDAM

Chandler said:
Why don't the close-up pics of the cuffs match the full image of the jacket? Hmm.

Hmm, err, perhaps because the close-ups show the back of the sleeves and the full image shows the front.

dmar836

I have not read the history of the incident but looks tragic. I saw somewhere 2 crew were killed and the rest captured? Or am I mistaken. I sure would like to see more POW info and maybe some form of ID. Not that it isn't real but, with that famous of a photo/story, a repop later down the road could be a reality. I would love the jacket but I would like something else with it.
These high dollar jackets have to have provenance down the road when they reenter the secondary market again. Afraid its already getting muddied up out there.

Dave

dujardin

in the question/answer section of the listing, the seller answer this : This was my father's jacket

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, i don't understand
except in case of emergency need of money
but real emergency, real need

how can you sell such a piece of History, surely if this is a part of your own familial history....your father's jacket

just my point of view :(

JDAM

dmar836 said:
I have not read the history of the incident but looks tragic. I saw somewhere 2 crew were killed and the rest captured? Or am I mistaken. I sure would like to see more POW info and maybe some form of ID. Not that it isn't real but, with that famous of a photo/story, a repop later down the road could be a reality. I would love the jacket but I would like something else with it.
These high dollar jackets have to have provenance down the road when they reenter the secondary market again. Afraid its already getting muddied up out there.

Dave

With the exception of the Pilot (Lt. Fuller) I believe all crew of 'Wee Willie' were KIA in the 8 Apr incident. MACR 13881 (8 KIA) Target Stendal, GER., Railroad Marshalling Yards.

William H. Cassidy, Ball T - MIA
James D. Houtchens, WG 1 - MIA
Ralph J. Leffelman, R - KIA
Woodrow A. Lien, CP - KIA
Francis J. McCarthy, Capt -Pilot, MIA
Wylie McNatt Jr., TT KIA
Le Moyne Miller, TG - MIA
Richard D Proudfit, TOG - KIA

The owner of this A-2, S/Sgt Lakos, was part of the preceding 'Wee Willie' crew. Lakos safely completed his tour in Jan 45. Good timing!

All the provenance one needs is here:

http://www.91stbombgroup.com/Dailies/322nd1945.html

dmar836

Oh, I agree this is certainly the real deal. Again, 40 years from now, who knows what the value will be. Certainly those interested then won't want just a printed history of the true story. Such public info is not provenance at all but history. It is certainly fuel for those wanting to create "storied" fakes with some new "crusterized" jackets and an irrefutable story to go with it. Provenance must be more than an authentic-looking jacket with a point to a historical event and "my word" that it is from there. It must chronologically attach the original owner through subsequent owners to the current item.
This is perhaps the wrong post to go into this because, again, this is a beauty but we have to start emphasizing the importance of accompanying evidence from the original owner when possible. Son as seller is certainly where that link to the jacket could be broken. We may know it is real but as it is now sold - from now on it will be an artifact that is allegedly from this man. I have jackets that are real and "been there" but have lost the connection other than a name.
Hope someone here got it. I would like to see better picks with it on a form.
Dave

Chandler

JDAM said:
Hmm, err, perhaps because the close-ups show the back of the sleeves and the full image shows the front.

It's more than that, in the full-on shot of the jacket the cuffs look almost new and not nearly the same color.

The seller's description says, "Cuffs need repair." But I think the repair has been completed.

JDAM

Chandler said:
JDAM said:

It's more than that, in the full-on shot of the jacket the cuffs look almost new and not nearly the same color.

The seller's description says, "Cuffs need repair." But I think the repair has been completed.

I don't think so. The cuffs have not been repaired. If you take a look at the full on shot (which is shot in different light, hence the different color) you can clearly see on the facing right cuff where the leather has separated from the knit. Same cuff / knit as in the close-up. Anyway, I guess everyone is free to see what they like. Doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

Chandler

I dunno, maybe they're just folded funny, but the 2 cuffs on the full shot look like they have a lot more elastic to 'em.

But yeah, it's not in my budget, so I'm not concerned -- just pointing out eBay oddness.

weewillie.jpg

TankBuster

JDAM said:
Chandler said:
JDAM said:

I don't think so. The cuffs have not been repaired. If you take a look at the full on shot (which is shot in different light, hence the different color) you can clearly see on the facing right cuff where the leather has separated from the knit. Same cuff / knit as in the close-up. Anyway, I guess everyone is free to see what they like. Doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

I think JDAM is right. It comes down to the lighting and one photo being the front side of the knits, and the other being the back side. Since this is more of a jacket for collectors due to the provenance and artwork, I think most guys would rather have the original knits in any case. I know I would.

JDAM

I have got my hands on this jacket. The left sleeve has worn through where it meets the knit. A question to you all - would you repair the torn leather or leave as is?

B-Man2

If it looked like you could protect the sleeve from any further damage or tearing I would leave it alone. However if that wasn't the case then you have to try to stabilize the damage by making a quality repair.

JDAM

The jacket looks quite fragile in photos but in the flesh it is actually very solid. There is limited or no risk of the tear worsening. I agree, a repair would amount to pointless fiddling.