• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Good Wear Werber A-2 after hot water treatment, etc.

Burnsie

herk115 said:
Hi.

I have "before" and "after" photos if anyone's curious.

Herk115

I would be very interested in seeing these - wearing my jackets in a heavy rain is the most extreme I've ever gotten. I can't imagine playing Dr. Frankenstein with any of my jackets but that's just me either being over cautious or just plain cowardly!!!!

asiamiles

Persimmon said:
Can you explain the shower treatment,
Do you get in to the shower and let the water run on it.?
Does the temperature matter ?
For How long ?
What level of shrinkage occurs ?
After the water stops do you hang it up ..for how long before wearing it ?

I've just run water over the jacket using a hand shower, not worn the jacket while in the shower. I took care to try and not get the zip and knits wet. The longer you do it the wetter it becomes with the water seeping through to the lining and possibly increasing the amount of shrinkage, but I would say 5~10 minutes should suffice. Then you can scrunch it up or whatever to try and bring out the grain and even wear it if the liner is dry to try and mould it to your body shape, or you can throw it in the dryer, which I think may increase shrinkage and should help achieve a worn-look.

CBI

yes, this works but there are actually folks who wear it in the shower. This way, it gets stretched a little more to battle some shrinkage. I guess there are a million ways to age a jacket!

herk115

Actually I'd read about the washing machine and dryer treatment on the Fedora Lounge and the member claimed he'd had good luck. I'd tried using the subtler methods like a spray bottle of hot water or Lexol treatment, to no avail. The jacket was still a tent on me. So I followed his instructions to the T and wound up with the unfortunate results I did.

That said, my latest Aero Leather is turning out to be the perfect A-2, so who needs an Eastman anyway? Eastman is past their prime as far as I'm concerned and does not turn out quality products any more.

I do, however, hope to have a Good Wear when I have saved enough.

I'll post those pics in a day or two.

Herk115

herk115

Well, folks, first of all, sorry about not posting those "before" and "after" pics, but like all things in life, I'll get around to it -- eventually.

Now that some time has passed, I want to back off a bit from some things I said about the washing machine and dryer treatment on my Eastman. The more and more I wear it, the more and more I become convinced I didn't ruin this jacket. True, there was more shrinkage than I wanted at the bottom of the leather where it attaches to the waistband, thus preventing the lower leather portion from "blousing" out they way I would have liked, but so what? It's hardly noticeable. The weathering effect was just right...in fact, the jacket still looks pretty new. Everything else about this jacket is exactly the way it ought to be. So it just wasn't the disaster I thought it would be.

That said, I highly recommend that you not try something as radical as the washing machine treatment unless you a) have money to burn and can get another jacket right away (in which case you don't need to do the washing machine treatment anyway), or b) nothing else has worked and the jacket is unreturnable to the manufacturer and unwearable as it presently is. The washing machine treatment may work for some people, but the problem is, once you've done it, there's no turning back. If you really need to shrink the jacket, use the hot water spray method, or the shower treatment...and do it gradually. Continue to ask the other group members for advice.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Herk115

Steve H

herk115 said:
Actually I'd read about the washing machine and dryer treatment on the Fedora Lounge and the member claimed he'd had good luck.

Herk115

I remember reading that too and I think he said he used a front loader- much more gentle (rolling action) and temperature friendly than a top loader tub which will rip the thing in every direction.

I used the front loader trick on an old 70's Avirex with pretty good results as this thing was minging (multiple owners!)

Mind you I put it on a half torso dummy to dry in the air, not tumble dried!

Steve

Dr H

CBI said:
My wife took these and after she finished she said: "time to get over this jacket thing" - the NERVE!!!

Just noticed the post date on this one Feb 2010...so your wife's advice worked then... ;)

CBI

I took this pic of the jacket yesterday:

IMG_0711.jpg