• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

good project or a lemon? what would you do?

watchmanjimg

I think you did quite well, Tim. I'm not sure the seller has a clue about the parka, however. By all indications it appears to be a typical Skyline N-3B, which I believe in 1963 would have a nylon shell rather than "canvass" as claimed by the seller. I think he's mixed up by the fiber content of the lining as stated on the label. There was a later "Modified" N-3B with a cotton/nylon shell that was ultimately standardized, but this one looks like the standard variety.

I see at least one hole in the lower part of the shell, but with a good cleaning and a little TLC this one quite possibly can be revived. Thumbs up!

Tim P

I must admit I thought, canvas with a decal?? You could pay ten times the price for this if it is Nylon as I suspect. I admit to being intrigued if not confused.
Does it appear that the wolf fur is shot/ missing? or is it just me?

Weasel_Loader

Good luck with the project. WIth the right parts, it can be brought back to health as Jim stated. Just keep tabs on the repair cost/parts as they can get pretty expensive.

FYI- A N-3B of the same model as yours in excellent + condition is usually sold on ebay for $100-$200. ;)

Tim P

I have had a quick trawl and it would seem that an item big enough and insignificant enough to butcher to resurrect this parka will not break the bank by any means.
if when I get it it is clear that this is not viable my quest will continue. I will never be able to fund (or rather justify funding) a buzz N-3.

What do we think about replacing that dire white nylon crap on an 80's cotton/nylon one? That is the only reason I dont get one of those at about £65.

watchmanjimg

Tim P said:
What do we think about replacing that dire white nylon crap on an 80's cotton/nylon one?

You'll never have to replace it, which was probably part of the reason for doing away with the real fur in the first place. However, I definitely agree that the real fur is nicer.

BTW, I looked at the listing you posted and it's a good thing it's faux fur. Alsatian? :eek:

Tim P

I think if I bought a recent one I would leave as is although that white fur is not aesthetically very pleasant. I will take my time and source some wolf for the skyline.

Tim P

I think I will try them.. I need someone to post approximate measurements of the hide so that I can order it in advance. anyone able?

Also, is the trim attached to the hood edge on one side or is it folded over?

Thanks for all the advice.

watchmanjimg

I was at a large flea marked today and a vendor had various scraps of coyote fur available for $8 each, but I think you'd need at least two of them to redo a hood. I was considering buying some for my parka, but I wasn't 100% sure of the dimensions myself. I suppose there's always next time . . .

Tim P

Lemon.
Ver de gris on all the snaps, torn out pockets, missing fur (which we knew) ripped up rust stained dirty smelly piece of shyt that isnt fit to be in my garage. I may rob it for parts or just leave it a while. Most of its faults are not shown but it was a gamble...
It cost next to nothing so I am not overly concerned.. in fact I am not phased in the least. I have found that I need an XL without soaking up a couple of hundred bucks.