• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

G-1 USN Flight jacket, Ivin B. Foster Co. Sz42, Nice Cond

MikeyB-17

Re: G-1 USN Flight jacket, Ivin B. Foster Co. Sz42, Nice Con

I had one exactly the same, these were made for sale in the Navy Exchange-there's no USN on the wind flap. They were made on the same production line as the issue jackets-I don't have time to fish out the link, but we discussed it when I bought it, and eventually a chap who worked in Naval supply solved the mystery.

B-Man2

Roughwear said:
This is a lovely jacket, but why
No sales outside the USA?

Hi Andrew

I started this restriction after a bad experience with a sale of an Eastman .50 Cal, A-2 to a fellow from the UK. The jacket was in new condition having been tried on a few times but nothing more. I described the jacket accurately with 12 photo's and listed all of the dimensions as most of us do when listing a jacket. I also stated that there were "no returns accepted". The initial sale went smoothly, and I shipped the jacket to the gentleman.

Once the jacket arrived in the UK, I received a notice from Pay Pal saying that a complaint had been filed on the sale and that the fellow wanted return of his payment. No message traffic from the purchaser just a notice from Pay Pal. I contacted the purchaser to find out why he had filed the complaint and simply received a message back stating, read the complaint.

As I read the complaint I was surprised to find out that he stated the jacket was not as described because it was not in new condition and had wear to the outside of the jacket and that a name tag had once been on the jacket and removed.

I contacted the purchaser and explained that as the original owner of the jacket the time worn finish was the way the jacket was made to replicate a WWII used A-2, and there had never been a name tag on the jacket. I sent him the link to Eastman's .50 Cal page. I explained to him that the photo's clearly showed the finish of the jacket and stated that he shouldn't have bid on the jacket if he didn't care for the look of the jacket. Things went down hill after that and accusations on his part lead to a case being opened. With Pay Pal policies protecting the purchaser I was forced to pay back the purchase price and shipping fee.

The part of this that really pissed me off took place once the jacket arrived back in the US. The purchaser marked the original value of the jacket on the US Customs Declaration Form, but never indicated it was a "returned item" and I was charged US Customs duties on my own jacket. I could have filed a complaint with US Customs but then the jacket would have been held up while they attempted to get information from the purchaser who sent the jacket back.

The result was that I was out of pocket $120.00 US for shipping and insurance to the UK, and another $80.00 US for US Customs duties for the return trip.

Unfortunately, in this instance Pay Pal did nothing to protect the seller and I was out a total of $200.00 US.
Since I can't afford to take losses like that, I no longer ship outside the US. It's unfortunate for potential foreign buyers as well as myself as a motivated seller. But that's the way it is.

Thanks for listening.
B-Man2 (Burt)

robrinay

I empathise - I had similar trouble with a US buyer of a fountain pen who complained of plating loss on a Sheaffer Targa Imperial Brass pen and asked for a full refund. She also claimed the case was scratched. The clue was in the title 'brass' the pen had no plating to lose as it was made of brass and I'd thrown the case in for free - it wasn't mentioned in the listing. She accepted a discount and kept the pen. Another buyer complained a modern white label G1 was stiffer than his Cagleco and so must be faulty again accepted a discount- Some buyers are just pains and others are clearly out to cheat honest sellers and this is supported by eBay and PayPal weighing in on the buyers side.

ciddu

I understand your piont, B-Man2,
I think that jerks are widespread in the same way all over the world, but when you happen stumble into one of them, high shipping fees and customs duties can make a big difference for a honest seller.
I empathise as well.