• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flightsuits became Gibson and Barnes when?

creaser

I just acquired a like new Flightsuits A2 civil. The label says Flightsuits, not Gibson and Barnes. I was wondering if anyones knows when the A2 civils began having the labels say Gibson and Barnes rather than Flightsuits. Also, my jacket has the original leather sample and various tags that came with the jacket, and nowhere do any of the labels mention made in the USA. Does that mean the jacket was not made in the USA? When did G and B stop making their jackets in the US?
IMG_4284.jpeg

Pa12

Funny, I was thinking about that today. I think they changed in the late 90’s but don’t quote me. I bought my first one around 94 and it was flight suits.

Chandler

I think @Pa12 is in the right ballpark. I had a HH A-2 that was labeled FS and I still have a goat A-2 that's labeled G&B -- both bought a couple years apart toward the late 90s.

Both of mine were USA made and I think G&B is still US made.

creaser

Thanks for your input. Another thing that I noticed is that my FS civil goat has some labels and tags (not attached to the jacket) including one that states that it is vegetable tanned. The current GB A2 and A2 civil ones are both chrome tanned. The more expensive current Historical models are vegetable tanned, but not the cheaper A2 and A2 Civil. I wonder when FS/GB switched to chrome tanning for the base models.

Chandler

Can you show us some more pictures of your jacket?

I also have a "modern" (not sure they called it civilian) goatskin FS G-1 (bought as a cheap rendition of an AN jacket), but I would bet good money it's chrome tanned just based on the drape and feel of the hide.

creaser

IMG_4707.jpeg
IMG_4711.jpeg
IMG_4713.jpeg
IMG_4714.jpeg
IMG_4715.jpeg
IMG_4717.jpeg
IMG_4706.jpeg

The jacket is virtually new. Looks like the previous owner never really wore it. Here are some pics including the tags/labels that seller included with the jacket.

Last edited:

Chandler

Odd YKK zip -- all of mine have/had repro nickel Talon. Makes me suspect this jacket is older than 90s.

creaser

The lady I got it from (via E-ay, it was her husband's) said that he got it 6 or 7 years ago, but he probably got it second hand because it is labeled FlightSuits not G&B so it must be at least 20 years old. Or, since she said he wore A2s all his adult life, I suspect this was one he got way back but for some reason didnt wear it, because it honestly looks and feels brand new.

Last edited: