• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight jackets at Duxford

havocpaul

Here are some pics I took this Friday at the Duxford Museum, a nice collection of original jackets. Painted A-2's and a strange B-3 with white trim. Any visitor will find the display at the back of the American Museum hangar in a small room. Good to see three B-17's on the flight line and two flying (US-based 'Liberty Belle' and French 'Pink Lady' (was 'Mother and Country' in Memphis Belle remake), UK - based 'Sally B' was missing an engine so has been grounded for some time now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/

TankBuster

Very nice Paul! Thanks for sharing! Love the pics of the
original jackets. I noticed most have wartime pics of them
being worn. Were they part of a museum, or a private
collection?
Jeff

havocpaul

It was really hard to get any good pics as they are behind glass in a dark room, I used flash at an angle to avoid any reflection. I didn't have too much time either as I was meant to be working so couldn't read all the info on them. I know the Mary Alice jacket has been in several books showing it or similar from the same crew being worn. Being an IWM museum they may have been in the IWM collection for many years; they have one painted/patched A-2 on display in the main London museum but this is I think the best there is in the UK. In one hangar the Fighter Collection had a lovely display of original AAF gear including one A-2, I at first thought and hoped some of it was for sale as it appeared with a load of pieces from FW-190's dug up in Russia that had prices on them, but that was only the relics not the AAF stuff.

jacketimp

havocpaul said:
Here are some pics I took this Friday at the Duxford Museum, a nice collection of original jackets. Painted A-2's and a strange B-3 with white trim. Any visitor will find the display at the back of the American Museum hangar in a small room. Good to see three B-17's on the flight line and two flying (US-based 'Liberty Belle' and French 'Pink Lady' (was 'Mother and Country' in Memphis Belle remake), UK - based 'Sally B' was missing an engine so has been grounded for some time now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/havocpaul/

what were the other two jkts.........besides the BR??

dujardin

hellooooo,

many thanks for sharing this photos with us.
aren't some photos twice in your gallery ???

byeeeeeeee marcel

havocpaul

dujardin said:
hellooooo,

many thanks for sharing this photos with us.
aren't some photos twice in your gallery ???

byeeeeeeee marcel

yes, I was extremely tired after two 18 hour days and the new Flickr confusing site for downloading pics!

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
Being an IWM museum they may have been in the IWM collection for many years; they have one painted/patched A-2 on display in the main London museum but this is I think the best there is in the UK.

Paul the painted jacket in the IWM London is magnificent for sure. One of the best collections of painted A2s is in the control tower museum at Thorpe Abbotts, Norfolk, the home of the 100th Bomb Group. Here's a link to their website:

http://www.100thbg.com/mainmenus/base/base_03.htm

TankBuster

Man!!!!!!!!! They have those original jackets hanging or
wire coat hangers. Someone needs to tell them that is
not very good for a jacket.
Thanks for the link Andrew! Sorry, I just cringe when I
see that kind of stuff. And at a Museum no less!! :(