• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flight Jacket Art Blog

442RCT

My primary interest in flight jackets as many may know are the patched and painted flight jackets. I have a pretty long thread on the hat forum, 'Painted Flight Jackets-Planes, Names and Dames'. I don't know how they count 'views' on a topic, but it's looks like the thread has received a decent number of views.

I'll continue to throw new posts in that thread, but have also decided to start a tumblr blog, A-2 Painted Flight Jackets. I'm starting off slow with b/w shots from WW2, and plan of going forth from there up to the 'contemporary' art work. I'll also throw in pics of nose art, pin ups, and 'toons as they were the most popular inspirations for the art work on jackets.

My primary interest is the art work on the jackets and not much will be said about flight jackets, i.e.-contracts, pockets, zippers, type of hide, etc.. You guys here have that really well covered. This isn't meant to be a scholarly work, mostly I'm going to throw up pics of painted flight jackets that I've found on the net. :roll:

http://a2jacketart.tumblr.com/

ps- you're more than welcome to add pictures of patched or painted flight jackets to the blog.

pps- I've posted a link to this website on the blog.

Jaguar46

One of the pictures of an A2 jacket, has the word "Snicklefritz" on the back. I was first exposed to this term in the early 50s, when my grandfather would play a game with us, by marching his 2 fingers as if a man was walking, and he would say "Here comes the Snicklefritz", ending up tickling us under the neck. I have never found a consistent derivation of this term. The earliest I can find is in reference to some usage by the early Pennsylvania Dutch Country, as an overly talkative child, but to have its term on the back of a jacket puzzles me. Anyone else hear this term as a child?

dmar836

Strong work! A nice page for sure.

Interesting how many of the paintings look well-worn even at that time. Contributes to my belief that much of what we collect is old wear with a 60 year old storage-wear gap.

Keep 'em coming!

Dave1

grommet

I like it!
I think you should label Chennault's jacket since there may be those who won't recognize it.

442RCT

grommet said:
I like it!
I think you should label Chennault's jacket since there may be those who won't recognize it.

Thanks, this blog thing is new to me ;) and I didn't know I could caption pics.
I've also added 2 more pics for Chennault's jacket.

This is just the start of the blog----so many jackets, so little time. :lol:

dmar836

Alan,
I think Chennault's jacket was labeled. I read it as I scanned down. Maybe it's labeled differently than the others?

oose

Hi,
Great to see another Blogger! Really like the stuff our putting up, good luck on finding the time!! Looking forward to seeing more. I'll add you to blog roll.

All the best
stu

dujardin

A2jacketart is already in my ''favorites''

just a clic and i read youuuuuuuuuuuu

greattttt

marcel