• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Five Star "Off the Rack" A-2 Sizing?

RumRunner

Hi all --

I've been emailing back and forth with Five* to come up with an A-2 that fits correctly, and either I'm a goofy shape or their size charts are off. Has anyone bought any of their standard sized A2's (i.e. not custom measured) and, if so, how was the fit?

I am 6'3" tall and around 240lbs, for reference. I typically need a tall or big/tall size, but the numbers on their size charts don't seem to match up. (I'm looking to buy an off-the-rack jacket in case the fit is off again and I need to exchange... so far I've gone through three jackets that didn't quite fit right).

I guess getting the first good fit is the tough part?

Thanks!

D97x7

Yes I bought their Goatskin Dubow in size 46 straight off the rack. I'm a bit smaller than you though, 6'1" on a good day, around 200lb, 42.5"chest, but I think it's a cracking fit, not a tight WWII fit but enough room to layer if I wish. I suspect it'd be just a little short for you though.

Last edited:

Chris 55

I'm 5/10 83kg and at the time of ordering I was a 44/45 chest the recommended was a 46 so I went for that.
I've lost quite a bit of weight since but still happy with the fit.
IMG_20220403_130837.jpg

blackrat2

That’s a good fit Chris …assuming a weight loss pic?
Shawn is easy to work with and if you’ve done three jackets already I would suggest take the measurements of the best fitting so far and add a LITTLE more length to it, not crazy long as it will probably ruin the look but you certainly want it to be comfortable otherwise you’ll be back to square one again

Chris 55

That’s a good fit Chris …assuming a weight loss pic?
Shawn is easy to work with and if you’ve done three jackets already I would suggest take the measurements of the best fitting so far and add a LITTLE more length to it, not crazy long as it will probably ruin the look but you certainly want it to be comfortable otherwise you’ll be back to square one again

Pic is after weight loss of nearly 2 stone.

bigbacon

be semi careful though because even if you give them your measurements, the coat may not fit well anyway. I order a hat and A2 from them and I'm here like 2 weeks later trying to get them replace both items because the hat is HUGE and the coat is a bit tight in the armpits and shoulders. I believe I would have been better off just ordering off the rack base on my normal coat size. My measurements aren't even on their chart which is why I contacted them first and something still didn't work out. I feel if you wear, say a 40r normally, just buy the 40r from the first column of their sizing chart.

If you buy a hat from them and your measurement is largest of one size and the smallest of the other, do not get the upsized. so if you are a 57, do not get a M, get the small.

they seem to be fighting me over the coat.

RumRunner

My measurements aren't even on their chart which is why I contacted them first and something still didn't work out. I feel if you wear, say a 40r normally, just buy the 40r from the first column of their sizing chart.

I will say that I had some difficulty with their A2 size chart. The G1 chart seems to fit my proportions much better. (Obviously that's no help if you're looking for an A2 and not a G1!)

YoungMedic

I will say that I had some difficulty with their A2 size chart. The G1 chart seems to fit my proportions much better. (Obviously that's no help if you're looking for an A2 and not a G1!)
just my limited 2 cents. you’re not going to find a post depression jacket off the rack that fits the way you want. the average size man back then was under 5’10 , under 180 lbs and wore high waisted pants. IMO you’re going to have to go custom to get the fit you’re looking for

Clark J

How about me ? Have 2 Eastmans in 46 and both are tight , wearable but a 48 would be better. Or just loose 20-30 lbs ! How about his D-1 , size ?

bigbacon

just my limited 2 cents. you’re not going to find a post depression jacket off the rack that fits the way you want. the average size man back then was under 5’10 , under 180 lbs and wore high waisted pants. IMO you’re going to have to go custom to get the fit you’re looking for

these are re-pops though using what is probably a modern sizing yet they can't get them size correctly. I'm still trying to get my issue resolved and they don't seem to respond. Next stop is my CC to charge back. Their chart says measurements are X yet that can't be true when the shoulders on mine are supposed to be like 8cm wider than my actual shoulders yet its vert tight. I'm a small guy. they first wanted to send me a Quad X, tell them I usually wear a 38 and they send me a 36 based on my measurements, then don't seem to want to fix the problem they caused cause they suggested the sizing. The quality is very nice. I like the products i just can't wear them and it sucks, I do want one of their B3s when they get them back in.

herk115

Make no mistake, Shawn's customer service can't be beat. But I agree with those who say their size chart is confusing, and probably inaccurate. Every jacket I've ordered from them has been standard size (not custom), but always a bit small (I'm 5-10.5, 180 lbs, with a bit of a beer belly). I ordered a used one from a friend in the UK, and when I get back home to try it on, we'll see how it fits. I deliberately went big on this one. Another problem is my usual gripe with the lower-end A-2s: not enough shoulder roll. The shoulders on all the jackets I'veordered from them have all been squared off, like a really bad Cooper, making me look like an American Football player. Second problem is again common to the lower end repros: the epaulets always seem too far forwad, making it look like they're restingon the upper part of my chest and not on top of the shoulders where they belong. I wish the repro manufacturers woud please address these two issues. I think it's pretty much a flip of the coin when you order from them. But then again, as I always say, "For the price..."