• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fit vs Feel

CryptoDave

Ok, I'm not as experienced as some of you are, but I've been thinking a lot about this.

What is the trade off between the fit and feel of a jacket when you make a purchase? It's possible to get a jacket that's a perfect "fit" ie... Looks good but may not necessarily "feel" good. Unless you have perfect dimensions, chances are that you are going to have to opt for one or the other.

Thanks

Dave

Vcruiser

Of course you can.
..but first you must be able to recognize your true stock size..and then go from there.
If someone gets used to wearing a skin tight jacket..then anything else 'feels' like a tent. On the flip side..wearing something quite oversized can make a correctly sized jacket 'feel' trim and somewhat restrictive.
However..a custom 'rightly' sized leather jacket will have a somewhat fitted look through the shoulders and basically throughout the jacket(especially if a civi/utility style). Not skin tight nor hanging loosely.
There are many pics of properly fitting jackets here on the forum in the Repro section..and Moto/Utility jacket section as well.
Very few people have 'perfect' dimensions..that's why some make the effort to customize for a better fit.
Van

Vcruiser

CryptoDave said:
Van, when you say customize, what exactly do you mean?

I wear a size 40 in a suit...sport jacket...and about every jacket I have is a size 40. However..I can wear some size 42 jackets. But..I have long arms. Many stock (off the rack) size 40 jackets have 24-25" sleeves. I prefer a 26 1/4" for my sleeve length. I am tall...so I also add body length,too. I have found the size that I like..and is comfortable for me.

Aero Bootlegger...

IMG_0583.jpg

Aero Stuart...

IMG_0736.jpg

Van

Vcruiser

These pics are of brandnew Aero jackets right out of the box. As they are worn..they mold to the body..relax...and become much more comfortable.
Van

dmar836

Dave,
If you are thinking of an A-2 specifically, remember there can be significant differences in fit found in different contracts alone. Some with a larger gut or narrow shoulders can often wear a stock size well just by switching to a different maker. Someone might insist on a Perry or Roughwear and must customize parts just to make it fit them.
I think this would be difficult with some of the mass makers. They often appear to change only pocket or collar nuances but leave the remainder of the jacket as their "house" brand. Other makers are just unable to develop such detailed and diverse patterns.
Jmo,
Dave