• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

feedback tit for tat?

Tim P

bought an item the other day and after a couple of days wait for the paypal invoice, paid within minutes. four more days pass and the vendor advises me the item has been sent. He then says, let me know when you get it and I will post feedback thereafter.

If I have paid quickly then surely there is nothing more I can do to be a 'great ebayer A++++'
so why wait til I have recieved it to post feedback about me? if the item is as described then its a done deal.
I think its wrong to wait to see what someone else writes about you before you post.

wop54

i buy on Ebay more often than i sell, but very rarely receive a feedback from the seller before i leave a feedback (especially from professional sellers) even though i always pay promptly. Perhaps they are afraid of the "pain in the neck" buyers that leave negative feed-backs for the most insignificant details? For example a day of delay in the delivery or something that they misunderstood in the description? I don't know... Perhaps it depends on someone's grade of trust in the human beings... :)

asiamiles

As a seller, I would never leave f/b for a buyer until after they have left f/b for me. Paying for an item is only the first step in the transaction, and as we know, one that easily be reversed by Paypal. There's any number of things a buyer can complain about afterwards, some might be justified but many are not. I've always had this policy and now it's even more important with buyers holding all the aces. As a buyer, I'll leave f/b as soon as I receive the item and made sure it's as was advertised. to be honest, as things stands I feel giving positive f/b to a buyer is meaningless, as it's not possible for sellers to give neg f/b anymore.

ausreenactor

I post a positive feedback the day payment is received, Buyers have done the right thing, prompt payment etc. If I have not afforded the item every protection with Registered etc..the onus is on me (DONT ship to FRANCE, the La Poste cred went out decades ago with the rapid dissemination of Surrender pamphlets on two seperate last century) . If they hit you up for a claim later on...C'est La Vie. I have had only one issue with a buyer not receiving the item. Spoken about at length. Took two months over Christmas US$546.60 taken out of the account. Sent the item registered and scanned the paperwork the day the claim/dispute were lodged. Paypal decided in favour of the buyer. So be it. Had to appeal and Paypal initiated Seller Protection. Then Paypal paid me TWICE!!! :p Hard to take. MADE US$546.60 out of the deal. I wish they would lose every item I sell.....THEN THE JACKET CAME BACK, FOUR MONTHS LATER!!!!! Up on two counts. I am not the best at reading French, but it appeared the buyer opened it, THEN the buyer returned it the same day the claim was lodged. He should read measurements....KARMA is real....and rained upon me in buckets..

Leaving positive feedback for swift payment makes sense! That is all you want from a buyer!

Couchy

havocpaul

asiamiles said:
As a seller, I would never leave f/b for a buyer until after they have left f/b for me. Paying for an item is only the first step in the transaction, and as we know, one that easily be reversed by Paypal. There's any number of things a buyer can complain about afterwards, some might be justified but many are not. I've always had this policy and now it's even more important with buyers holding all the aces. As a buyer, I'll leave f/b as soon as I receive the item and made sure it's as was advertised. to be honest, as things stands I feel giving positive f/b to a buyer is meaningless, as it's not possible for sellers to give neg f/b anymore.

I agree, I leave the feedback when I have received either feedback or confirmation they received the item in good order. Ebay now only protect the buyer but I still don't leave the feedback until the transaction is completed satisfactually as that is when I feel the deal is done.

asiamiles

ausreenactor said:
Leaving positive feedback for swift payment makes sense! That is all you want from a buyer!

No, that's not all I want from a buyer. I want them to be satisfied, and them leaving feedback is proof of this. I'd prefer a friendly message and slow payment to no contact and fast payment. I recently had a guy pay instantly for an item, but he paid the wrong shipping amount and has not responded to any messages. I didn't send the item. He just bought something else and this time paid the correct amount, and I sent the second item but I still have his first item, sitting here, partly paid for.

Weasel_Loader

I've been buying/selling on ebay from the beginning (@1999?). As a seller, I have always had the policy of posting positive feedback as soon as payment is received. If I get a late payment, such as more than 5 days for paypal or more than 10 for money order, then I don't leave any feedback. My take is that the buyer has taken the first step and honored their part of the deal by paying and paying promptly so it's only fair to honor that by giving prompt positive feedback.

Yes, the buyer in my opinion has way too much power on ebay these days and that's pretty much why I don't sell too much but I have yet to have any problems from any buyer not happy with what was sent. I try my hardest to point out ALL the flaws in items I sell and so far it's worked. Good photos is also a big help.

Whenever I do buy on ebay, I always pay within one day of auction close. If the seller will not post positive feedback after I pay, then I usually don't post when I get the item. ;)

asiamiles

Weasel_Loader said:
If the seller will not post positive feedback after I pay, then I usually don't post when I get the item. ;)

It's never bothered me if buyers don't leave me feedback. In fact, I'd rather not have to bother leaving them f/b in return. :lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
asiamiles said:
... I didn't send the item. He just bought something else and this time paid the correct amount, and I sent the second item but I still have his first item, sitting here, partly paid for.

And you couldn't have just taped them together?

Boy .... you're strict. :lol:

Peter Graham

I sold a B-11 parka to a guy in the US. I left positive feedback for quick payment. He then left me positive feedback. I binned the tracking slip. A week later he claimed he had not recieved the jacket. Ebay sided with him saying that feedback was not proof of delivery. I lost about £200. The whole feedback system is fucked. I'm sick of it all.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
And you couldn't have just taped them together?
Unfortunately, no. One was a boxed item. The other was poster in a tube. Otherwise it would have solved the problem.

asiamiles

Peter Graham said:
I sold a B-11 parka to a guy in the US. I left positive feedback for quick payment. He then left me positive feedback. I binned the tracking slip. A week later he claimed he had not recieved the jacket. Ebay sided with him saying that feedback was not proof of delivery. I lost about £200. The whole feedback system is f*cked. I'm sick of it all.

Very suspect. Why would he leave you f/b before receiving the item?

MikeyB-17

I've never left feedback until I know they've received the item and are happy, and everything's done and dusted. As has has been mentioned, they could pay up on time, positive feedback exchanged, then they start acting the goat when the item arrives. It's when things go adrift that you find out if someone's a good buyer IMHO.

Andrew

I'm with Mikey, this is the way i've done it for years now and I don't expect anything else from a seller either. You only need to be burnt once by an inexperienced trigger happy buyer to come to this conclusion. I'm over the whole feedback thing as well, and these days I don't even check tro see if I have or haven't had fb left.

A

Anonymous

Hi your obviously new to the ebay thing ,as a seller I try to accomodate all buyers but you get some low feedback jerks that leave you negative because the item took to long to get to them or it was smaller than they expected .I only leave feedback once it is given to me and take this as mission accomplished .

All the best Jeff.

zoomer

What is the origin of "tit for tat"? What is tat? And where can I get some in order to get the former?

:lol:

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
What is the origin of "tit for tat"? What is tat? And where can I get some in order to get the former?

Well since you asked ....

Both tit and tat are archaic words meaning 'a light blow'. The entire expression thus means 'a blow for a blow', like 'an eye for an eye'. Both words were used as verbs, too: a popular song of the late sixteenth century had a refrain, "Come tit me, come tat me,/Come throw a kiss at me."

These words are probably of imitative origin, with a vowel variation found in other words expressing striking such as tip and tap or pit-a-pat. The tit is not related to other tit words, such as the ones (each of independent origin) meaning 'a small bird' (e.g. "titmouse"), 'a breast', or the first element of "tit-bit" (in America usually euphemized to "tid-bit," but not related to the 'breast' word).

The phrase tit for tat is first found in the sixteenth century. It is probably a variant of tip for tap, of similar origin but found a century earlier. The tip in this earlier phrase is the same word as in the baseball expression "a foul tip."

randomhouse