• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fall 2014 Designers' Flight/Moto/Military Fashion Trends

My daughter took me through Soho this last weekend and it looks like every design house has gone with the flight/military theme. Are there fashion moles on VLJ tapping into this forum for the latest in trend setting? If so, I suggest we out them and collect royalties on all this great free consulting work. I noticed that there were quite a few sewn-in throat hooks on stand collars that wouldn't be the run of the mill detail that would be all the obvious in just copying an Avirex, for instance. John Varvatos had those particular Fall jackets. I guess we aren't so niche and odd after all!

Skip

Yes, have noticed a distinct lean towards Military in fashion clothing in Oz too. A-1 style copies seem popular, although not accurate, in both leather, PVC and cloth in a myriad of colours. Also seen a few m-42 style 'anoraks' in the jeans stores, even some without hand warmer pockets. Just waiting for the 'cargo pants' to come back in...

I've noticed that this military trend has lasted several seasons and has intensified. I told my daughter that she should just join this forum and become a fashion designer for one of these designer labels herself! Between eBay, and the internet in general, we're definitely seeing the oldies come back in force.

Silver Surfer

hhmmmm...ya dont say. my studio is in soho, and i must be oblivious to this. i kinda gave up looking in most shop windows years ago due to the shitt in the windows all looked the same and ubiquitous. my little lizard brain asks, "who would wear this crapola?", and then i look up and sure to form it marches right past me on the backs of the fashionista, or what ever they are. insteada stores, its the soft ones that get my gaze. now, thats a reason to stomp the streets of soho.

Heck, Vic! I should of dropped by! It was a little toasty last weekend and I actually found parking on one of the streets there.

colekwok

Flight jacket has never been out of style. It is more about popularity at a certain time. In the past few years, designers have all opted for the more vintage look. The A-2 has been hugely popular, and currently the A-1 look. Shearing was a huge trend for women last year as they tried to put fur on every single collar on the jackets. What has changed over the years is probably just the cutting/fitting of the jackets. Now we are coming back from one extreme of oversized, bat-wing sleeves to almost skin tight, sausage fit jackets.

Found myself in a Barbour store in New Hampshire today (I guess it's their US headquarters). Generally crappy stuff until I found a Hemingway-esque hunting jacket with some nice bi-swing gussets and some other cool details...but alas, made in Vietnam, so that was the end of that, no matter how nice the workmanship and design. It fit me perfectly, had the waxed cotton and all, but emotionally it was just WRONG! Legendary British brand name made in Vietnam?? Their other production facilities were Bulgaria, Turkey, Pakistan and the bags were made in Portugal. Not cheap either! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Peter Graham

Such is the nature of capitalist greed. To hell with the heritage and the craftsmanship. Let's go for the cheap labour. The bozos will still buy because of the label.