• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fade Quest …. Part Deux…

B-Man2

If the sun can fade the paint on a vehicle
I'm really not convinced it's a thing. I've never seen a lot of fading on WW2 jackets- never on a G-1.
Zu
You mentioned elsewhere that you’ve been to art school. At any point was fading of artworks due to UV exposure discussed ?
I know that all prominent works of art are protected from sun light exposure to protect them from fading . I know this is off the subject but UV Rays cause just about everything to fade, from shingles and tiles on roofs to the paint on vehicles . I’m just wondering why you don’t feel that this would be a factor on the color of a leather jacket ?
Just asking .

Pa12

Zu
You mentioned elsewhere that you’ve been to art school. At any point was fading of artworks due to UV exposure discussed ?
I know that all prominent works of art are protected from sun light exposure to protect them from fading . I know this is off the subject but UV Rays cause just about everything to fade, from shingles and tiles on roofs to the paint on vehicles . I’m just wondering why you don’t feel that this would be a factor on the color of a leather jacket ?
Just asking .
I’ve never seen “anything “ that doesn’t fade in the sun. Except humans of course.;)

B-Man2

It occurred to me that I have a classic example of how sunlight fades leather. This is from personal experience . I’ve lived in S Florida for about 40 years on and off . During that time I road a Harley for about 35 of those years . I can tell you that the black leather seats on all of the bikes I owned had faded from Black to a dark grey in color . The leather saddlebags I had on the bikes faded to a grey color. The paint on the bike faded as well . Anyway just sharing some info here .

saucerfiend

A few months ago you may have read how some putts (me), took a perfectly good A2 jacket, a Good Wear no less, and set it out in the Florida Sun and heat in an attempt to get the jacket to fade. The purpose was to get the GW to look like an original WWII A2 jacket that was weathered and faded. If you missed the thread you can check it out here ;

The experiment really worked nicely as different areas of the hide faded in a mismatched fashion.
Well the putts (me) is at it again, only this time the Fade Quest will entail fading two jackets over the summer months, which are hot and sunny down here. One jacket, the size 46,is an ELC Monarch, belonging to yours truly while the other, a size 42 GW Monarch belongs to Jan (Mulceber), who has graciously volunteered his Monarch as a guinea pig for this two part Fade Quest. I’ll start by taking and posting some before pictures of both jackets. Front and rear. As the weeks pass updates and photos will again be posted along the way, so you can see how the Fade Quest is proceeding. Ok that’s it for now so here’s some BEFORE photos of the two jackets .
Jans GW on the left , my ELC on the right
View attachment 110795

Jans GW
View attachment 110797View attachment 110799View attachment 110801View attachment 110803
My ELC
View attachment 110805View attachment 110807View attachment 110809View attachment 110811
Jans on top . My ELC on the bottom
View attachment 110813
Ok guys that’s it for now. First update will be in about 2 weeks, so stay tuned.
Cheers to all
B-Man
I can't help but to notice the difference in the hides. Man, that GW is unbelievable! The other one I wouldn't give you a plug nickle for. Of course, no offense Burt. Jan, I can't believe you want this done to that beautiful jacket.

mulceber

Thanks Brian, credit to Burt for his photography skills. His photos really bring out the best in that jacket. As for why do it? I really liked the results Burt got on his GW Aero (also Horween, I think?):

Last edited:

saucerfiend

Thanks Brian, credit to Burt for his photography skills. His photos really bring out the best in that jacket. As for why do it? I really liked the results Burt got on his GW Aero (also Horween, I think?):
I believe this is a mistake, Jan. It will shrink.

mulceber

I doubt it - John's told me he pre-shrinks his horsehides before making the jackets. But we'll see. Honestly, it's a relaxed enough fit on me that a little shrinkage wouldn't hurt.

Pa12

Do
you find the horween super soft?

mulceber

Do

you find the horween super soft?

In terms of how pliable it is, yes. The Rough Wear I have (also Horween) in particular required zero break-in. It was very easy-wearing out of the box.
C625105E-3A67-4922-9E42-C1DB3584D862_1_105_c.jpeg

Pa12

In terms of how pliable it is, yes. The Rough Wear I have (also Horween) in particular required zero break-in. It was very easy-wearing out of the box.
View attachment 110879
Ok. I have 2 horween gw’s , bronco and dubow. Compared to my gw rw Italian hh, they feel almost like glove leather. Super soft and pliable. Maybe my imagination but they seem physically lighter in weight.

mulceber

Yep, that's my experience as well. Compared to my Horween GWs, my Italian HH BK Star feels like boot leather.

ZuZu

Zu
Just asking .
I guess I just don't think it's a big factor- certainly not enough of a factor to start setting up UV ageing booths for jackets or something. Instead of trying to find out with jackets- why not put an 'X' of duct tape on a leather sample and leave it out. Maybe when jackets are worn the fading is so evened out by constant movement that you don't see it as well because it's overall. However- I went to JC's CD site and looked at a few collar raised shots- if there is fading these would show it because the underside of the collar is not that expoed to UV. It doesn't seem to be an obvious thing:
collar_details (6).jpg

collar_details (4).jpg

collar_details (5).jpg

collar_details.jpg

These are all un-refurbished original color jackets. I think a more likely scenario is that UV rays break down the protective coating and then rain and wet start degenerating the leather. Hence all the bad and faded tops of shoulders. Just speculating...