• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facebook 'Vintage Leather Jackets' Group.

Skip

Peter Graham said:
I enjoy facebook and it's a useful tool for certain things but a VLJ facebook page could never take the place of the forum in my opinion. This is a friendly, mostly self governing place. The rules are kind of loose and as long as we respect each other then things tick along just fine. Facebook is another thing entirely. You gotta play by their rules, which are constantly changing for what I suspect are not entirely honourable reasons. VLJ feels like a club for mild eccentrics whereas Facbook can be a pit of vipers. My opinion anyway.

Your Opinion stands well Peter. I only use it for photography purposes, been on Facebook a year and it gets tedious trying to wade through the crap posts and undesirable adds. It demands your time, whereas a forum you just pop in and out at Your will.

ausreenactor

As soon as I found the A-2 Appreciation and the Suit Up pages with 900+ members it seemed pretty redundant.

Facebook has a lot to offer. Opens up the peripheral completely. And you see the latest jackets first!!

EMBLEMHUNTER

I got onto FB awhile back , 50+ pages now , it is trying at times to go thru them all, I've posted about my leather unit patch work and have had quite a bit of interest and orders , so it good in that aspect , but as some have mentioned you do have to wade thru stupid ads that don't even pertain to the subject of the page etc , there are a good amount of interesting aircraft sites .

I think it depends on your patience and having time to go into them all ........................

But also as mentioned this forum is easy to just go into and out of and easy to find "specific" areas of interest etc ...............

RayR

fishmeok said:
I think it works well- for me it's nice to be able to drop new pics on Facebook, takes almost no time and there is no data limit. People who follow the NorShor page get automatic updates every time I post.

I make a lot of one-off jackets that I do not want on the official website as standard models- I can show them off on the FB page and only those who are interested will see the pics.

Cheers
Mark
Mark, what's your link?

RayR

foster said:
Not sure if it works, but I read an article recently that says if you do not click the "Like" button then it limits the info that goes into your news feed. I'm trying that, but I am only a few hours into the experiment.
That is correct. Don't "Like" or comment on things you don't want to see return to your time line. They will slowly filter out. You can also go to individual pages and Un-Follow without un-Liking a page. My experience is that you automatically Follow when you Like, so there is a lot of room for adjustment.

EMBLEMHUNTER

Ya'll drop by my Facebook page please , Lots of new photos of my leather patches to see there , check the "Comments" on som as the photos are under those also , thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!

"WW2 Leather Sqd/Group Patches"

Stony

With all the information that's been accumulated on the VLJ over the years, it would be a nightmare to replicate that on a FB page.

a2jacketpatches

I've heard a lot of bad things second hand. Once in a while I end up there some how on my wife's account and see my sister bickering back and forth with people about other people. Then I follow links of this and that to find details about this one and that one. My brother uses it constantly and your almost like a fly on his wall. My wife being Asian, the family in Thailand is very interested in our financial status, just the other day her niece was bragging about some perfume we sent her and the entire family lost their minds because they didn't get anything. My wife had to ignore several phone calls from other family members. So enough of that crap for me, last time I fell into it felt like someone was watching me :lol: Started wondering if they all know I was looking. Kinda creepy and I just don't have the spare time to figure out a bunch of new security settings.

a2jacketpatches

Guess I can see his "little girls" comment and why someone may jump to that conclusion by my first impression of it. But I'm sure it's got some good elements as well. I just don't have the drive to learn the ins and outs of the whole thing. If you gotta filter out stuff on a regular basis I'd rather just stick with the focused forum.

foster

I was off Facebook for three wonderful years. My stress level dropped dramatically and I was more productive at my job. Then I got back on it... it is not for the highly distractable minds (like mine).