• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Facebook 'Vintage Leather Jackets' Group.

ausreenactor

Gents..

Following on from Dave's Poughkeepsie pics on his FB page and the sale of the jacket I postulated the workability of a VLJ Facebook page? There is presently an A-2 Appreciation Society. Norshor, Goodwear, Diamond Cap Co and Bill Kelso all have interest in their respective pages. Perhaps some cross promotions might make Mr. Zuckerberg work for us? Just a thought...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/137285591951/ 85 members.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/vintage ... s/?fref=ts 900 members!!

Try these guys for a start..

Regards,

Couchy

Thanks for the heads up, seams there is a wealth of info in Facebook that many have not tapped into. I myself have most recently run into numerous Facebooks that do business out of their page. Maybe a future way to avoid Ebay.

foster

I've only joined Facebook in the last couple of months. To be honest, for me it can easily be information overload. But the idea has merit. Plenty of businesses using it as a sales tool, it seems well suited to businesses that cater to a small group of individuals worldwide, but the time investment required of both seller and buyer cannot be ignored as a huge factor.

fishmeok

I think it works well- for me it's nice to be able to drop new pics on Facebook, takes almost no time and there is no data limit. People who follow the NorShor page get automatic updates every time I post.

I make a lot of one-off jackets that I do not want on the official website as standard models- I can show them off on the FB page and only those who are interested will see the pics.

Cheers
Mark

Really if you pushed a little, it's like having your own shop, and as mentioned so easy to load pictures, as of yet no fee's. Not the exposure of Ebay but you could grow a business on Facebook.

unclegrumpy

I don't think the VLJ can have both a Forum and a Facebook page without eventually have to choose one or the other. Personally, I like the Forum format better.

Ian C

We run both in The English Warbow Society.
Our forum etc. is the official EWBS point of contact and the Facebook page is sort of like an introduction without full membership privileges so that people can see what we are about before they join.
I realise this is different as VLJ doesn't have subscriptions, but I than it can work well if done properly.

Ian

foster

I do find it easier to check the forum.

Checking things on Facebook means I have to be bombarded with everything else of interest. Without exaggeration, I had headaches and stress the first 3 weeks on FB. It's often too much info to process.

a2jacketpatches

foster said:
I do find it easier to check the forum.

Checking things on Facebook means I have to be bombarded with everything else of interest. Without exaggeration, I had headaches and stress the first 3 weeks on FB. It's often too much info to process.

I've always been under the impression that was the way it was and haven't ever actually tried it. I'd love to get my business on there but want to avoid hearing from everyone I ever knew and what they will be doing all day everyday. I just don't care. Some tips on how to avoid that if I do get an account?

foster

Not sure if it works, but I read an article recently that says if you do not click the "Like" button then it limits the info that goes into your news feed. I'm trying that, but I am only a few hours into the experiment.

Nickb123

foster said:
Not sure if it works, but I read an article recently that says if you do not click the "Like" button then it limits the info that goes into your news feed. I'm trying that, but I am only a few hours into the experiment.

You can "like" a page and when that page has a post that shows up on your news feed there's a drop-down button where you can choose to "unfollow" the page, meaning no future posts from the page will show up on your feed. I'm pretty sure that's what all of my friends did with my postings!

I highly doubt there will be as much activity with a VLJ facebook page as here. The big flight jacket groups already on fb consist of people putting up pics of their collection, and it's usually a regular group of 3-4 guys doing so. Most of the time there is little dialogue or comments. So my guess is a VLJ group would follow in a similar manner.

Nickb123

Having managed a small group, be sure the moderator checks the option to have to approve new members when they get a request. If you let anyone in without getting a sense of their profile, you'll be bombarded with spam "100% authentic cheap Ray Ban" spam posts.

Rutger

unclegrumpy said:
I don't think the VLJ can have both a Forum and a Facebook page without eventually have to choose one or the other. Personally, I like the Forum format better.

+1

forums do suffer from facebook.

unclegrumpy

Ian C said:
We run both in The English Warbow Society. Our forum etc. is the official EWBS point of contact and the Facebook page is sort of like an introduction without full membership privileges so that people can see what we are about before they join.
Getting more interested new members is always a good thing.....especially meeting our current recruitment priority of finding a few jacket less rich guys that wear a size 44 for Couchy. :D

I think if all we are talking about is using FB to advertise the Forum, and not a platform for discussion, then that would be OK. However, I agree with Foster....too many headaches, too much stress, and too much advertising using FB as the primary meeting place.

JDAM

Since I will never sign-up to Facebook, Twitter or any other social media sites this forum is it for me.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNZrq2iK87k[/video]

unclegrumpy

JDAM said:
Since I will never sign-up to Facebook, Twitter or any other social media sites this forum is it for me.
Rare Prehistoric surveillance image, Woolly Mammoths unite behind the leader of the pack....I am with you old buddy!

Wooly_Mammoths.jpg

Peter Graham

I enjoy facebook and it's a useful tool for certain things but a VLJ facebook page could never take the place of the forum in my opinion. This is a friendly, mostly self governing place. The rules are kind of loose and as long as we respect each other then things tick along just fine. Facebook is another thing entirely. You gotta play by their rules, which are constantly changing for what I suspect are not entirely honourable reasons. VLJ feels like a club for mild eccentrics whereas Facbook can be a pit of vipers. My opinion anyway.