• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Excellent M-422A H&L Block from Navy Cross / DFC winner

bazelot

I just acquired a very large grouping from a WWII pilot who won the Navy Cross and the DFC. In his own words: "It was in performing bombing attacks upon the enemy naval forces at Kiska Harbor that I was awarded the Navy Cross, also the DFC in executing a successful attack on an enemy submarine in Nazon Bay". In mid 42 he was on the CASCO a seaplane tender around Kiska in the Aleutians with VP-43. The CASCO was torpedoed while he was on the ship (2 bulkheads away from where he was standing) and the ship was subsequently beached. The next day he took off in his PBY, found the sub and sunk it. His tour in the Aleutians lasted 3 months and then another 6 month tour back in the Aleutians. He was a LT when he got the Navy Cross and DFC and he was promoted to LT Commander in April 1945 (hence the name tag was removed but I still got his Lt Commander nametag in the grouping). According to the vet this was the jacket he was wearing when he sunk the sub and on many missions both on the Aleutians and later in the Philippines campaigns. The grouping came with 2 other helmets, a M-422, a M-421A and more uniforms.

The early M-422A H&L Block in outstanding condition, no flaws whatsoever, even the lining and label are in perfect shape:

Helmet and goggles he was wearing in the Aleutians when he was hit with flak. You can see the burned spots on top of the helmet. I got the information directly from the vet himself so that makes the helmet all the more special:

His uniform with ribbons:

THe flight helmet he used in the Philippines campaign:

A post war flight helmet that he used while being in the reserves:

Phantomfixer

Truely a nice grouping..all items in great condition with a very solid history....love the headgear...what type of goggle is on the 1092?

bazelot

jzist said:
Truely a nice grouping..all items in great condition with a very solid history....love the headgear...what type of goggle is on the 1092?
Thanks. It is a mint pair of MKII naval flight goggles that came with the grouping.

Stony

Excellent grouping! It's not very often that you get a lot of other items besides the flight jacket and from a Navy Cross recipient as well.

Great looking jacket. Is that a reproduction nametag? It is an odd way to abbreviate LCDR. I've never seen it written that way before.

bazelot

Treetopflyer said:
Great looking jacket. Is that a reproduction nametag? It is an odd way to abbreviate LCDR. I've never seen it written that way before.
No the nametag is 100% original. It came with the rest of the grouping. His highest rank was CDR so he would not make nametags of an inferior rank after his retirement I assume :)