• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Werber A2 re-vamp

Peter Graham

mindful said:
Peter Graham said:
I have an ELC Werber that I bought second hand last year. I don't know how old it is but as far as graining goes, it's just right. I think they try too hard these days.
Any pictures on that one please
There you go. Taken today. There's no argument that the new one has much more pronounced graining but to my eyes the older one looks more natural. I remember an original 27753 contract I once owned had panels that were nearly smooth sewn to really grainy panels. The old Werber is a bit like that.

mindful

Peter Graham said:
mindful said:
Peter Graham said:
I have an ELC Werber that I bought second hand last year. I don't know how old it is but as far as graining goes, it's just right. I think they try too hard these days.
There you go. Taken today. There's no argument that the new one has much more pronounced graining but to my eyes the older one looks more natural. I remember an original 27753 contract I once owned had panels that were nearly smooth sewn to really grainy panels. The old Werber is a bit like that.

Thanks love the colour on the weber with the caramel under tone

dmar836

Mine looked about like that. It's the from panels than never really would develop a break in them - especially at the abdomen. Felt very tin can like to me.
Love that color too.
Dave

Roughwear

The War Horse hide used on the first models of the Werber was not at all like cardboard. I owned two of these jackets and found the hide to be supple and with character. A variety of horse hides were used on original jackets from the 1933 contract, but sadly very few jackets have survived. So who is to say the new hide is not as accurate as the earlier hide. It is simply a matter of personal taste. The new hide has more character and when you compare it with the original in Gary's collection it seems very close, if not closer than the earlier hide.

Skip

Peter Graham said:
mindful said:
Peter Graham said:

No that's a nice look Peter, the jacket I mean

Roughwear

I have just got a new version ELC Werber and will write a thread on it asap. It's an awesome jacket, better than two that I used to own made from the previous leather.

Roughwear

Perry Sportswear were also based in Newburgh. I seem to recall a Werber employee set up Aero. there were many links between the various A2 members which went beyond just family members setting up rival firms. A good example is the sons of Isaac Spiewak who set up Bronco and United Sheeplined.

zoomer

My current Werber, numbered 110, is the original hide and is my favorite A-2 of all, both for its crisp feel and flatteringly trim fit (and as a somewhat podgy size 46, I need all the flattering I can get). It is graining subtly, but noticeably, and the finish is not at all plasticy, but very rich-looking. Best of all, the Hookless repro zipper has been trouble free, unlike previous examples.

better duck

I have one of the first batch of ELC's, mine numbered 100. It has aged in a terrific way! I'd love to show you pics, but I'll get around to that in a couple of days.