• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC Time Worn?

C.J.

Hi, all. It's been a while, I hope everyone is well. I'm finally going to get another jacket and the one I miss the most is the M-422A. The Time Worn option being offered by Eastman seems right up my alley in terms of the look I like. I move a little slower nowadays so I may not get the wear and fading I like to complete the look, so the Time Worn may fill the gap for me nicely. Does anyone have any photo's of Eastmans Time Worn options on their jackets they'd share? Especially G-1's or M-422A's, but seeing any jackets with the option would be a great help.
Thanks, all.

dmar836

I have the ELC Werber in the time worn finish and I thing it is a shame. Not as if paying extra for it isn't bad enough but the abrasions hide the very grain you (and I) want so badly. You have to look really close to see that it is actually breaking in under that hideous finish - particularly on the pockets and large flat surfaces like the front bodices and the back.
Just like shiny car paint shows blemeshes better than a faded or dirty finish, an intact jacket finish shows the grain and wrinkling. That abrasion thing didn't happen even on some A-2s that were used throughout the war so to start of new with it has no correlation to the broken in look of the jacket. I didn't think the abrasion look was desireable at all from a collector's standpoint either.
If you must have the broken-in look quickly, I would keep the full finish and explore some of the hot water processes the others have done.
JMO,
Dave

A

Anonymous

Hey Dave,
May we please see some photos? and close-up photos?

Tim P

While time worn is not as faux looking as the 80's aviator style jackets it is only a bespoke way of a similar result.
Options
1) Buy new and wear in
2) Buy new, accelerate a slightly worn look with hot water treatment, allow natural wear from that point to do the rest
3) Seek out a second hand example, may take a little patience to get the one you want but then it is genuinely 'time worn'

colekwok

I have the ELC .50Cal A-2. And it is steerhide, not HH. It only comes with TimeWorn treatment, but when new, the jacket is just as tough as the new one, like dmar836 said, they kind of use alcohol to rub the seams of the jackets a little bit to creat the time worn look. You will not find the usual leather wrinkles or creases from that.

My kind of breaking in treatment is to wear it when you go to bed and wear it when you are driving. I would try to aviod hot water though, but of course, you can always wear it under the rain.....

Marv

I have the ELC Pearl Harbor A2 and this only comes in time worn steerhide like the .50Cal, the time worn effect on my jacket is very subtle and in no way represents the crappy 80's distressed look at all.

The steerhide is of an excellent quality showing grain and creasing beautifully, the jacket has been dunked in a hot water bath and has come out fine.

General wear has helped the jacket break in nicely and it is probably one of the most comfortable A2s I have had, anyway here are some photos of the jacket taken approx 6 months ago, not fantastic pics but you should get some sort of an idea as to how it looks.

52649aa7.jpg

7d6e6b91.jpg

f17704ec.jpg

eb3e939c.jpg

8f4d2695.jpg

9b05706c.jpg

939c9e8f.jpg

Hope this helps some what.....

CBI

if you are thinking of an M422 or G-1 type, I would opt for an original as there are plenty on eBay (G-1's) .......... unless you have a specific size need (over 48 or long/short)

Marv

Persimmon said:
Paul
I really like that Pearl Harbor A2 of yours.

cheers Alan........

@CJ - I also have an ELC G1 which I have had for about 4 years which doesn't have the time worn option but I think that with general wear and a few hot water misting sessions (which I have done to mine, taking care not to wet the mouton collar) it has really helped the goatskin to break in and is a very comfortable jacket, more so that the A2 I think.

Here are some photos of when I got the jacket, it was second hand but basically in new condition never worn......

S5000057.jpg

S5000058.jpg

S5000059.jpg

S5000060.jpg

S5000061.jpg

S5000062.jpg

S5000063.jpg

this was probably my best ever bargin off ebay, got it for £55 including postage, I couldn't believe my luck.....the seller obviously didn't know what he had plus poor listing details probably helped.

colekwok

Marv said:
Persimmon said:
Paul
I really like that Pearl Harbor A2 of yours.

cheers Alan........

@CJ - I also have an ELC G1 which I have had for about 4 years which doesn't have the time worn option but I think that with general wear and a few hot water misting sessions (which I have done to mine, taking care not to wet the mouton collar) it has really helped the goatskin to break in and is a very comfortable jacket, more so that the A2 I think.

this was probably my best ever bargin off ebay, got it for £55 including postage, I couldn't believe my luck.....the seller obviously didn't know what he had plus poor listing details probably helped.

Indeed, more like winning a lottery mate! And it looks like new!!!

I will try to take some photo of my 1yr old .50Cal. It is such a cool jacket, the only flaws are :
1. it is not HH
2. it is one size too big. The body of size 38 fits very well, but the sleeves are just too short. The length of the 40 is perfect, but then it is a little bit baggy when I only wear a T-shirt underneath.

C.J.

Thanks for the responses, guys. I greatly appreciate them. Marv, you have yourself a couple of beautiful jackets there, mate, wear them in the best of help and thanks for sharing the photos.
Cheers,

dmar836

I think the lighter finishes like on the Werber show the worn finish more IMO.
I can take some pics tomorrow if needed, I just figure the pockets, etc will wear enough in time and don't really need to in order to look authentic and broken in.
The finish on my Werber is sanded on the flat surfaces as well as the seams - that's the part that's the most frustrating.
Dave

colekwok

As promised, .50Cal Steerhide

The collar and the seam along the zipper
IMG_0150.jpg

A little bit of abrasive/worn looking pocket
IMG_0151.jpg

Not much showing on the sleeve though.
IMG_0155.jpg

Photos were taken with flash so that you can see a higher bit of contrast.

Marrk

Marv said:
I have the ELC Pearl Harbor A2 and this only comes in time worn steerhide like the .50Cal, the time worn effect on my jacket is very subtle and in no way represents the crappy 80's distressed look at all.

The steerhide is of an excellent quality showing grain and creasing beautifully, the jacket has been dunked in a hot water bath and has come out fine.

General wear has helped the jacket break in nicely and it is probably one of the most comfortable A2s I have had, anyway here are some photos of the jacket taken approx 6 months ago, not fantastic pics but you should get some sort of an idea as to how it looks.

7d6e6b91.jpg

Hope this helps some what.....

What a great looking jacket, Marv! Your pictures on my screen make the jacket look blueberry-ish, which I really like! Love the way you've broken it in, too.

dmar836

C.J.,
In this post you can see that my ELC Werber after 9 days of wear. If you look at the sleeves, you can see they are breaking in quite well. You have 9 days don't you? ;)
You can also see a pic of the "Time Worn" finish on a flat area I mentioned earlier. Up close it looks ridiculous IMO. The full color looks much richer IMO and shows small wrinkle better.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8366

Dave
KC

C.J.

dmar836 said:
C.J.,
In this post you can see that my ELC Werber after 9 days of wear. If you look at the sleeves, you can see they are breaking in quite well. You have 9 days don't you? ;)
You can also see a pic of the "Time Worn" finish on a flat area I mentioned earlier. Up close it looks ridiculous IMO. The full color looks much richer IMO and shows small wrinkle better.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8366

Dave
KC
Great pic's and comparisons. Thank you, very much. You just saved me from making a costly mistake.

Tim P

you can't go wrong with the Eastman brand really but sometimes, with anything you look to source, you can throw bad money after good. self worn is better.

Buying a second hand car for instance, 'well, I havent put many miles on it so I thought I would throw crumbs all over the foot mats and some fluff in the recesses. I have jabbed repeatedly at the lock with the key and lightly sanded the door handles to get that used look.......