• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC star sportswear A2

omarco

Hi there, i'm on the brink of ordering one of these, i just wondered if some of you guys could tell me how the cut differs to the other offerings from ELC. I'm drawn to the colour and the lovely war horse leather but it would be great to get a little more info about the relative cut of the jacket compared to the other original maker jackets from ELC

Thanks in advance

B17b25guy

I have the new Warhorse Star Sportswear edition purchased thru HPA....and it's superb. I was told the hide used for the Star is the same as the 27752. So, color should be the same, or quite similar depending on the dye lot.

While, I have purchased well over a dozen Eastman products beginning in '92, the Star was my first purchase (along with a size 44R B.o.B. Irvin ) since 2001.
My avatar depicts one of the 2001 purchases, a 44R Cable Raincoat A-2...the 4th one made. It's back is painted to reflect one of the B-17's I fly......or did fly, for over 1100 hours, prior to it's demise.

The cut and sizing of my 44R Cable is significantly different from my new Star. But, if I recall correctly, Eastman was switching it's sizing methodology during this time period in '01.
I found the cut of the 44R Star 'warhorse' quite tight under the arms. I exchanged it for a 46R, and it's just fine. In chatting with Charlie a month ago, he also suggested I would need a 46 in the 27752 too. Perhaps the A-2 sizing is different, since a 44R for a G1/422A type was mentioned to parallel my size 44R, 38' pattern B.o.B. Irvin which fits fine.
For additional reference I take a 16 1/2 35" sleeve dress shirt.

Hopefully, this provides some insight for you. I find the 'Star' outstanding, and the hide superb.
I don't perform any of this hot water treatment business that others seem to subscribe too. So, I don't know the sizing impact, if any.
I just wear them normally, to include piloting the B-17, B-25, PBY, etc., .....just as many originals may have been. But, for more years, (than war years) and many more flight hours than originals would have flown, or been exposed too.

omarco

Hey thanks for your reply, i think i'll probably go ahead and order today, i'm expecting to need a long fit but gonna try a standard fit first as the long is non returnable. From what i can gather the star is a slightly neater fit than some of the other contacts, at least thats what i'm hoping!

ScottoLaw

Hi,

Good luck with your purchase. I've admired the Star pattern for a long time. I like the sharp features and I believe the Star has inset sleeves which make it very comfortable to wear. I look forward to seeing pics of it in the future.

Regards,
Scott

Marv

I also like the Star pattern, previously owning the older model (not the new warhorse version) it was very comfortable and sharp in design.

From what I remember Gary said that the latest model has had it's pattern trimmed down to more of an authentic fit and replaced some of the hardware (eg. snaps and throat latch) to be identical to the original A2 which weren't available on my older version.

I sold it on to fund the new ELC RW 27752 which I like a lot so I guess if you have any questions you should email Gary and I'm sure he will be able to provide the answers that you need, I have always found ELC's customer service to be excellent.

Good luck with your purchase and if you go ahead, please don't forget to post pics when you receive the A2.

omarco

Well it seems from other discussions on the forum that the choice of an ELC star is a controversial one! i have to say that in the photos i've seen (to my untrained eye) the hide, colour and cut look nicer than any other star i have seen, GW included. That and the fact that they are actually available and based here in the UK make the ELC choice a no brainer for me! I'll be sure to put up some pictures when it arrives.

Roughwear

omarco said:
Well it seems from other discussions on the forum that the choice of an ELC star is a controversial one!

I'm not sure about this. The early versions were made of very dark smooth hh and are less accurate than the current seal brown Star made from Italian Warhorse Hide. GW does make the most authentic repro of this contract, but ELC's Star is a nice jacket.

PADDY_M

If your heart's set on an ELC Star, then you'll not be disappointed. I had one and it was one of my favourites. GW is, as Andrew says, another option on this model.

omarco

stanier said:
Hi Omarco, when does it arrive? Be really good to have your review and some pics

Cheers

Hi Stainer, fingers crossed it will be here early next week, though i'v only ordered a regular length and think i may have to return it for a long - i just wanted to get the other measurements right before ordering a non returnable custom fit. I'll be sure to post pics and my thoughts once it arrives.. pretty excited actually :)

omarco

The Star arrived this afternoon, fantastic jacket! i'm really pleased with the quality, the warhorse hide is really nice and imo just the right balance of newness and grainy ness for a brand new jacket. Unfortunately its just a little too tight and short on me so away it goes for a 42. I took a couple of quick pics on the phone:

web.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

The fit was nice and trim on me with just a tshirt on but too tight across the shoulders and chest with a buzz sweatshirt on.

Marv

Excellent looking jacket, the hide looks superb and is very similar to my ELC RW 27752 and could well be the same shade from looking at your photos.

Hope the 42 fits you better as the Star is a great contract and sweet looking A2......please post more pics if you can when you receive your larger size.

Marv

Marv said:
Excellent looking jacket, the hide looks superb and is very similar to my ELC RW 27752 and could well be the same shade from looking at your photos.

Hope the 42 fits you better as the Star is a great contract and sweet looking A2......please post more pics if you can when you receive your larger size.

Have you received your size 42" Star from ELC as of yet, would be interested is seeing some photos of it when it arrives.......... :)

omarco

Marv said:
Marv said:

Have you received your size 42" Star from ELC as of yet, would be interested is seeing some photos of it when it arrives.......... :)

I'v had word that it will be here before the end of the week, can't wait :)

I'll post up pics once its here.

Marv

omarco said:
Marv said:
Marv said:

I'v had word that it will be here before the end of the week, can't wait :)

I'll post up pics once its here.

Great news, looking forward to seeing the photos.......... :)

omarco

Well my Star arrived and i'm pleased to say its a great fit, i was a little nervous as i ordered a long which was non returnable and with a 40 inch chest i thought the size 40 would be spot on, especially given ELC's reputation for being a little over sized. My experience is quite the opposite, in the end i sized up to a 42 which gives me the fit i was after - trim with enough room to get a close fitting sweatshirt on underneath it.

It got a bit of a soaking over the weekend with the rubbish weather but i think that has helped it mold a little. I'll get some pics up tomorrow. Needless to say i'm chuffed with the quality and finish of the leather and most importantly, the cut of the jacket :)

Marv

Excellent, looking forward to seeing the pics......glad you like it, the Star contract is one of my favourites (having previously owned an ELC Star).

omarco

a few pics as promised:

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Sorry for the poor quality, the jacket is no where near as shiny as the last picture, it is also not as dark as it looks in the pics, thats a result of poor lighting on my part.

Marv

Jacket looks great and an excellent trim fit, ELC have definately amended the pattern for the better since I had my Star.