• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC pecards application question

crazyace

I have a question, I have a second hand ELC HH house and was told it had the "time worn" finish. When i got it it did not look like Eastman`s pictures of the "time worn" finish.It does have some graining and was very supple and broken in but no real burnishing or color shading. The jacket is a 44 and when I checked Eastman`s size chart,put in my weight and measurements, it said I would take a 44. When I got the jacket I was suprised to find how much room there was in the torso and in the diameter of the upper part of the sleeves! Shoulders are ok. I gave it a couple of HW/T W/dryer and it did seem to help and does fit better.

My question is, now that it feels kinda stiff and dry should I wear it this way for a while to give it some more character before applying Pecards or just give it a app now before heavy wear? The jacket does look now like it`s been around the block once or twice. What is your guys opinion on the pecards application? Thanks

dmar836

HWT, I'm conviced, isn't the best for HH. I have an ELC I bought second hand that I'm pretty sure received HWT.
The Pecards might leave a greasy look and a sorta tacky feel but YMMV.
JMO,
Dave

CBI

yes Pecards. Apply with your finger, then whip off excess with an old t-shirt. Should work well -

capt71

Over the last 6 years I've applied Pecards three times to a vintage A-1 I have. I apply it (sparingly) by hand, hand-rubbing it into the leather in small sections until the entire jacket is treated (don't goop it on in huge amounts). I let it sit for an hour or so, then wipe the leather with a clean cloth (t-shirt in my case), removing any excess. I've never had any problems with any sort of buildup or spotty discoloration, nor any greasy feel afterwards. Be aware that Pecards may darken the leather a little.

John Lever

capt71 said:
Over the last 6 years I've applied Pecards three times to a vintage A-1 I have. I apply it (sparingly) by hand, hand-rubbing it into the leather in small sections until the entire jacket is treated (don't goop it on in huge amounts). I let it sit for an hour or so, then wipe the leather with a clean cloth (t-shirt in my case), removing any excess. I've never had any problems with any sort of buildup or spotty discoloration, nor any greasy feel afterwards. Be aware that Pecards may darken the leather a little.
I am sure many of us would like to see photos of the A-1

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Steve27752 said:
New(ish) leather should not need any treatment

After two sessions with hot water, and the clothes drier, I think it might need something ... maybe not Pecards, but something.

crazyace

I have applied a light coat of Pecards rubbing it in with my fingers ,letting it soak in then buffed off with an old t-shirt and it worked fine. It did take care of the dry feeling. It did not leave any greasy film or any residue.BTW it is a A-2