• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC meets Lewis Leathers in Japan

asiamiles

Well, to me anyway, it looked - in a good way - like a meeting of the Lewis Dominator and the Eastman Hartmann. Gotta say, I really liked the look of it - only possible minuses for me were the chest logo and the lack of leather inset (correct word?) around the sleeve pocket - but the store only had a Medium so I'll need to go to their other shop to check if it fits.
gloucester.jpg

More pics and other colours here:
http://www.orglory.com/wear/shop/detail ... 06002.html

And I really like this one from Dry Bones too (the stars on the pocket would have to go) which does seem to have leather inset around the sleeve pocket...but it sounds worryingly short.
dbones.jpg

asiamiles

I broke down and bought the Or Glory jacket yesterday. The 38 fitted me but was definitely snug even just over a t-shirt, while the 40 was comfortable but the arms were a little long. I decided it was safer to go for the 40, and if I felt if needed I could always have the sleeves shortened - they'll probably ride-up a lttle with wear - something I previously thought next to impossible on jackets with zip-closure cuffs but which I recall board members saying was actually not that difficult a job.

I liked the way it resembled a Lewis without being one...I don't think I'd be 100% comfortable wearing a Lewis with that logo on the chest telling everyone I was wearing an ultra-expensive jacket. I also liked the fact that, since I don't ride a motorcycle, it wasn't actually a biker jacket, but a jacket influenced by the styling of a biker jacket. I loved the use of the same Riri zips found on the ELC Hartmann, and the general look of the jacket with it's pocket placement. I chose the black one, though the other colours looked very nice as well...the photos on the website not really doing them justice

havocpaul

Very nice jackets. On the subject of Lewis Leathers, they will happily supply any of their jackets without the logo patch if required. I recently enquired about their jackets they supplied for the 1969 film 'Battle of Britain' and this was their reply...
"We can certainly make you a BoB jacket -the same as supplied for the 1969 film and also The Mckenzie Break (see attached) in 1970.
Essentially the jacket is the Dominator without the chest pockets and an added inside pocket on the wearers right,
we can also produce the jacket without the oval patch on the front if you prefer (most people who order this model ask us to add the oval badge to the lining and we are happy to do so).
Turnaround time on our jackets is usually 3 weeks."
They are in the process of moving to larger premises near Tottenham Court Rd so I plan on visiting to check on sizing/fit. I know ELC do two Luftwaffe-style jackets but I grew up remembering those pilots in that film and also I have fond memories of wearing a couple of LL jackets back in my punk days.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
Very nice jackets. On the subject of Lewis Leathers, they will happily supply any of their jackets without the logo patch if required.
Thanks for that info. Actually I do like the Lewis Leathers leather logo patch (I remember back in the punk days when as a lad of 15 or 16 and far from London and would see pictures of the likes of The Clash wearing black leather biker jackets with this logo on them, but not knowing what it was) but now whenever I see anyone wearing a Lewis jacket I sort-of feel they're making a statement by doing so...especially when it's some mainstream very unpunk TV show presenter! I probably shouldn't feel that way, but...I guess it seems like someone buying into being a punk*.

From what you say, it sounds like they will basically make you a custom jacket in whatever variation of the basic styles you want? That's pretty good. I wonder what the cost would be?

*While Lewis had been around for a while I can't help but associate them with the punk movt. of 76~77.

havocpaul

They will make pretty much any combination of styles in a variety of coloured leather if so wished, they don't seem to charge any extra for that work, coloured leathers are extra. I know they aren't cheap but it is pretty much a bespoke service and they are built to last, if I get one it will surely see me out! They use Lightning zips and try and match zippers to their original 1950/60's jackets. I know what you mean about non-punk tv presenters although I haven't seen anyone here in UK wearing them but the BBC in particular seem to have shares in Belstaff jackets, so many presenters wear them: Top Gear, Watchdog, BBC Weather etc etc. So much for no product placement and good to know our licence fee buys those expensive jackets!

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
They will make pretty much any combination of styles in a variety of coloured leather if so wished, they don't seem to charge any extra for that work, coloured leathers are extra. I know they aren't cheap but it is pretty much a bespoke service and they are built to last
What's the basic price these days?

havocpaul

Most of their jackets are around the £625 price so quite a bit more than say ELC or Aero but they are worth it IMO, they also seem to hold their value better than many other makers' jackets.

asiamiles

havocpaul said:
Most of their jackets are around the £625 price so quite a bit more than say ELC or Aero but they are worth it IMO, they also seem to hold their value better than many other makers' jackets.

That's a fair enough price IMO.