• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC goatskin

Desoto

Hi guys,

Havent been on here for so long had to reregister!

Am requesting advice, have ELC house pattern goatskin size 44 R. , stored flat for many years and nearly unworn excellent.
Since I dont wear it wondering what a reasonable price would be to ask?

Also, am thinking of buying a repro G1, have had many brands in the past , cant afford a high end brand but would appreciate suggestions on moderate price decent jacket.

I'm not as savvy as a lot of you on this forum but do not want a mutant jacket with side entry pockets, removable collar and big USN holes on wind flap.

Many thanks for the expertise shown on this forum

Desoto

Brettafett

Your ELC A-2, best to peruse Ebay. Prices are hard to gauge, depends on condition, but also what someones prepared to pay...
You could place it on ELC's Classifieds page also.

Regs a repro G-1

You'll get many suggestions to find a second-hand original. You can still pick them up for good prices, depending on condition.
But... It depends on what you are looking for, your size and to what degree, if any... you are prepared to wear as is, and/or are prepared to refurbish.
If you dont mind a decades old, and in many cases a bit smokey/musky/ dirty jacket, then fine. Clean and mint condition can still be found if you're patient.
Refurbishing knits, mouton and lining is not cheap and in some cases, a headache!

Repros...
AVI LTHR has a fantastic 55J14 G-1 that will fit the bill very well. Their jacket is copied off their original and is a great jacket.
[some other budget makers have copied AVI's copy... So just be aware, a copy of a copy...]
Also, this 55J14 pattern is still the earlier wide shoulder/ trim torso pattern of the late 40s and early 50s, so best for the trim fellas.

They have a G&F M-422A coming out in a short while, that looks superb. Again, copied off an original in their collection. This pattern is comfortable, and will suit any body-type at the correct size.
Im looking forward to this myself.

Cockpit USA make a couple of great 'generic' G-1s. Their Classic 100 Missions is a solid, well-made and iconic jacket (essentially same as their Top Gun Heroes jacket). Tend to be a bit short in the body for some...
Ive owned a few variations of this jacket and regret letting the Classic 100 Mission go.
They have the Mil-spec G-1 also, a more modern version.
Not 'cheap, or super authentic copies of any particular original maker, but good jackets for the money (best if grabbed on a sale).

Secondhand Eastman?

Im sure you'll get more suggestions.

Last edited:

Desoto

Hey thanks brettafett,

Sorry I was not more specific, A2 is near mint condition from smoke free , pet free home, only worn a few times as I have a horse hide A2 that is my wear jacket.

My thought was to not be a jerk and ask a ridiculous price and also to not sell it cheap.,

I dont use e bay so would probably post here.

G1, thanks for the tip on AVI, not looking for original but a new good to wear a lot beat it up G1 , that does not have a designer silly look to it have probably sent back due to poor fit or quality more jackets than I have owned, regret selling my W&G G1 from about 1980.
I worked at the Nimitz Pacific war combat zone for years and after the midway movie tried to buy all repro navy and marine clothing that was used in the movie, but just then the"Satan bug"hit and with the shut down the deal couldnt be made. The museum even planned to buy the fiberglass replica of the dauntless but that failed too. Am looking at the avirex g1 from sportys pilot shop as in my price range and seems ok.

I do some work for the Wright Pat museum and if and when , I might stop at sportys and see and try on as I hate to buy on seen.

Many thanks for your input, as usual you and guys on this forum are well informed and a great resource.

Desoto

Thanks otter,

Looked at their site, prices seem very low if a quality jacket, but a consideration.

I'm probably " contaminated" as I have owned many originals and repros, W&G, flight apparel, avirex, Brill, 2 or 3 originals , eastman and others.

Many thanks

Brettafett

I lived in San Diego back when... Enjoyed the old Midway and A&S Museums, not to mention the SoCal airshows.. Good times

US Wings looks... ok, but not as nice as Cockpits stuff imo... not to sound pretentious.
I guess one can try them out and return if necessary. What matters is what works for you.

There a W&G on Ebay at the mo, that looks good. But yes.. Ebay ....

If it were me... Id grab a Cockpit 100 Missions G-1 - fantastic jacket, quality, comfy, genuine mouton, classic pattern (based off an M-422a I believe)...
Legendary USA has a sale on currently, and if you sign up with an email, you'll get a further 15% off! Hard to beat jacket for that price!!!
Im even tempted here in the UK, but add postage and import duties, makes it painful.

Brettafett

If you are new to the forum, you will need to post a while before you can post in the sale section.

In meantime, scour Ebay and other sites to gauge a price, and post an ad on Eastman's Classifieds section.
Its tricky to recommend a price, because its really down to what its worth to you, what someone's prepared to pay for it (in this market) and how quickly you want the cash.

Might be a good idea to take some good pics of the jacket, incl measurements and post a review of it in the repros section.
These are always helpful and interesting, and a great way to see the jacket.

B-Man2

With great respect for yourself and those who have posted their suggestions above, let me offer a different suggestion/opinion. Many are willing to pay $300-$500 or more for a repro G-1 and that’s fine , but Originals are available for a lot less , and originals are in limited quantities so they will gradually appreciate in years to come . You can certainly find original jackets that are in good shape and don’t require restoration or stink of cigarette smoke . If you’re set on a repro so be it, but be prepared to pay more than an original and to see it loose value beginning the first day that you wear it . Just my opinion .. good luck with your search .

Desoto

I lived in San Diego back when... Enjoyed the old Midway and A&S Museums, not to mention the SoCal airshows.. Good times

US Wings looks... ok, but not as nice as Cockpits stuff imo... not to sound pretentious.
I guess one can try them out and return if necessary. What matters is what works for you.

There a W&G on Ebay at the mo, that looks good. But yes.. Ebay ....

If it were me... Id grab a Cockpit 100 Missions G-1 - fantastic jacket, quality, comfy, genuine mouton, classic pattern (based off an M-422a I believe)...
Legendary USA has a sale on currently, and if you sign up with an email, you'll get a further 15% off! Hard to beat jacket for that price!!!
Im even tempted here in the UK, but add postage and import duties, makes it painful.

Thanks,

Desoto

Thanks again brettfett,

Great suggestion on the 100 mission jacket, the cockpit from sportys seemed like a reasonable price ok jacket but the 200 mission model with 15 percent off is nice for what looks like a much better choice.

Would not have known without your suggestion

I appreciate it.

Desoto

If you are new to the forum, you will need to post a while before you can post in the sale section.

In meantime, scour Ebay and other sites to gauge a price, and post an ad on Eastman's Classifieds section.
Its tricky to recommend a price, because its really down to what its worth to you, what someone's prepared to pay for it (in this market) and how quickly you want the cash.

Might be a good idea to take some good pics of the jacket, incl measurements and post a review of it in the repros section.
These are always helpful and interesting, and a great way to see the jacket.

Appreciate the suggestions

Desoto

With great respect for yourself and those who have posted their suggestions above, let me offer a different suggestion/opinion. Many are willing to pay $300-$500 or more for a repro G-1 and that’s fine , but Originals are available for a lot less , and originals are in limited quantities so they will gradually appreciate in years to come . You can certainly find original jackets that are in good shape and don’t require restoration or stink of cigarette smoke . If you’re set on a repro so be it, but be prepared to pay more than an original and to see it loose value beginning the first day that you wear it . Just my opinion .. good luck with your search .

Good input and so noted, many thanks

Desoto

Makes sense what you say, was surprised to see ELC new g1 ion their sight looked like it was in the 1100.00 plus price range.

Thought a near mint example might bring about half or more but I believe that is too optimistic.

I've not looked hard but the originals in very good condition and lg sizes I've seen have been 600 plus, but I dont doubt a focused search could produce one.

Thanks

B-Man2

Makes sense what you say, was surprised to see ELC new g1 ion their sight looked like it was in the 1100.00 plus price range.

Thought a near mint example might bring about half or more but I believe that is too optimistic.

I've not looked hard but the originals in very good condition and lg sizes I've seen have been 600 plus, but I dont doubt a focused search could produce one.

Thanks
Hi again
I’m not sure where you’re looking but I can assure you that originals in great shape can be had for less money than $600.
I’m not trying to show off here, but here are a couple of the original G-1 jackets Ive purchased and all of them were under $360.00. Full disclosure the Pritzker I had restored but here’s an Original Vietnam war Martin Lane G-1 I just helped a member find . It’s in good shape and at a killer price , so they’re out there, if you’re patient and you look around you can find them .Good Luck with your search . :)

These pictures below are mine.

4FA5BCF8-8091-482F-B773-CD5E033B6EF1.jpeg
CF36D610-8DF6-49D2-981E-85CD333C0258.jpeg
C5C9B667-CBD2-46AF-B943-B91E7F0C3122.jpeg
F859DC11-5B71-4466-9AB7-0F35B46F53C7.jpeg
83B6621B-E33A-448B-966E-1CB65712E4E6.jpeg
744D2A28-C50D-4C3E-9146-43955BFA9A8A.jpeg

B-Man2

So what was the final out-of-pocket on the Pritzker after restoration? That's a fine example, but I find it hard to believe a G-1 of that vintage in very good condition would bring less than $400.
The original cost of the jacket was around 275.00. It needed an original black talon zipper and new knits . Dave Sheeley did the work using the original holes . At that point the jacket was a great daily wearer for about 575.00 and well below the price range of top tier repro G- 1s . After talking with Dave we decided that the jacket was worth doing a full restoration on it and bringing back to its original issued condition. Of course that meant more of an investment, but the point is the jacket would have been a good wearable jacket at $575.00 far below the current price of an ELC repro and it will continue to appreciate over time .I don’t think that will be the case with a repro
G-1.

Chandler

I guess the overall point to be made on G-1s is to be aware of vintage. Dave seems to agree.

@Maverickson -- do you feel some of the earlier vintage G-1s are gaining some value?

Members online

Latest posts