• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC DEvon Fleece RIP

John Lever

It's gone from the website. Not one of Gary's better jackets IMO.
Lets hope they repeat it but with softer thicker wool.

Roughwear

The skin side was very good but the fleece was quite unlike any originals I have seen and very itchy to wear over a shirt. I have no doubt ELC can do better is they can obtain a more authentic type of fleece. It is interesting now how many originals are described as being made from Devon fleece on Ebay! :roll:

John Lever

The demise of the Devon was the reason I decided to keep my ' normal ' 44 pattern.
IMGP2738.jpg

IMGP2746.jpg

IMGP2743.jpg

1944RAF013.jpg

1944RAF012.jpg

Roughwear

m444uk said:
Roughwear said:
The skin side was very good but the fleece was quite unlike any originals I have seen and very itchy to wear over a shirt. I have no doubt ELC can do better is they can obtain a more authentic type of fleece

Er... http://vintageleatherjackets.org/viewto ... ece#p70196

Your point being what exactly? As I have said the skin side is impressive, thick and grainy, but having recently owned a Devon fleece jacket, and sold it on, it is clear that the fleece side is not like originals. This was only apparent after seeing the jacket in the flesh. The fleece is like a chest wig and the quality is not good. When you fold the fleece the skin is clear to see which is not a sign of quality IMO. I'm happy to stick with my 11 originals! ;)

Roughwear

John, your 1944 jacket is superior in terms of the fleece to the now defunct Devon fleece jacket. It's a shame ELC don't offer this jacket as standard. You are sensible to keep it.

John Lever

Roughwear said:
John, your 1944 jacket is superior in terms of the fleece to the now defunct Devon fleece jacket. It's a shame ELC don't offer this jacket as standard. You are sensible to keep it.
Oh... there's more.. when I originally ordered one a few years ago, they sent me a jacket made for very shiny skin, the same as their BoB at the time. I sent it back ...
In retrospect it was even better.

duke

The pricing of their new,improved jackets is way over the top. Seems to me that the pricing does not reflectany direct improvement. I think they are hurting themselvees by doing this. Duke

Roughwear

Yes I hope they make the 44 Irvin using closer pile fleece and keep the cost down, not £690, for which you can buy a decent original in a large size!

John Lever

At least we have a world class repro maker in our on country. Add taxes and the price gets silly.
I love RMNZ, but £1k for a B-3 ?????

Roughwear

John Lever said:
At least we have a world class repro maker in our on country. Add taxes and the price gets silly.
I love RMNZ, but £1k for a B-3 ?????

True and one open to continued product improvement.