• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC AN-J-4 42 Very Nice

rich

ausreenactor said:
And this one disappeared off eBay too. It looks like someone is undermining the ethics of forum members/eBay sellers with early lowball offers? Not naming names, but I got a similar query asking if I was selling any more cheap Eastmans. Maybe some are succumbing to some perceived heirarchy here?

Becoming an ungentlemanly habit?

Who knows... What does everyone else think?

Couchy

I agree with you - the trouble is, while you are playing fair, other people are busy getting the jackets they want at the price they want. So, if this is your singular aim, it's a successful strategy - but it doesn't sit well IMO.

asiamiles

ausreenactor said:
I had no intention of bidding; however, it appears that it is becoming a standard operating procedure for many buyers and sellers here. It undermines the credibility of the individuals and atmosphere of the forum.
Sorry, but I don't feel anyone's credibility has been undermined, nor is the atmosphere of the forum being affected in any way whatsoever. I think things here are just fine as they are. If others feel differently, then this is a democracy and they can air their thoughts and if they wish push for a change.

I believe that this is the first auction I've ever ended early. It's more of a credibility issue on the sell side. Reliability goes a long way in successful selling (so it's not so much a moral and ethical issue as it is a practical and economic one). That being said, John did see it right away, I know him from the past on VLJ, and it appeared in the postings to this topic that all the fellow VLJ members seemed to point to John as the one whom this AN-J-4 should belong to. By no means did he make a lowball offer. There is NO way that he would have walked away from this auction without having been the ultimate winner, such was his determination. He REALLY REALLY wanted this jacket, and so I empathize with that kind of emotion and sentiment being a total and complete addict myself. I was very reluctant, but felt that for all the collective reasons mentioned here that it was the right thing to do. If a single one of any of these reasons were not true, especially the emotional one, then there would have been no way I would have ended the auction early. The only other time I contemplated ending an auction early was with the 16159 that I sold to AS. I should NEVER have sold it (even for 10 times more than I sold it for!) and kept it for myself. That one still haunts me daily over a year later! That would have been an inarguably legitimate reason to end an auction early--for not following through with temporary insanity! But at least I know that jacket is well loved and appreciated, so that helps quite a bit. I believe that with John, the same will be true for this AN-J-4, so in the end, the Universe tends to be as it should. In any case, it's nice to have a forum where there's commerce, companionship and open debate about all sorts of relevant subjects. I very much appreciate that!

John,

Not at all! The jacket will be going to an excellent home and will serve you well. In any case, I factored all of this into my decision making beforehand, so I'm comfortable I made the right decision and did the right thing. I am sure you will be well pleased and that's all that matters at this point. Thanks again!

George

asiamiles

prostaff4ever said:
There is NO way that he would have walked away from this auction without having been the ultimate winner
You cannot know that for sure. He might've been outbid by some swindler who would have left you jacketless and penniless. It's obviously safer selling to someone from here, and this is a factor that cannot be undermined. The fact that there were no bids on the jacket AFAIK, means I think few on here would have any qualms with the course this transaction took.

ECKHARTUS

prostaff4ever said:
The jacket will be going to an excellent home and will serve you well.
With John, it is in good hands. He is the good person for this exceptional model.

Thank you all for the positive sentiments! I have had a few very annoying experiences with high bidders who have not paid which prompted me to use the 2nd chance offer. But the main reason for my decision was that pleasing a well respected VLJ member's wishes quickly leapt to the forefront, and it is nice to know that there is a balanced perspective within the community regarding what's right and what's wrong. It's certainly not possible to please every single member here, but I know what it feels like to put the "perfect" jacket on for the first time out of the box, and to be able to provide that to a fellow community member trumps most all other considerations. I guess that for better or worse, the irony for all of us jacket addicts is that there never is the "perfect" jacket even though we all hope and believe that there is...you know, THE ONE jacket that we've all been collecting towards. Unlike with wives or girlfriends, at least we have one domain where it isn't morally frowned upon to have more than one favorite, and constant upgrading is a virtue and not a vice! ;)

John Lever

prostaff4ever said:
Thank you all for the positive sentiments! I have had a few very annoying experiences with high bidders who have not paid which prompted me to use the 2nd chance offer. But the main reason for my decision was that pleasing a well respected VLJ member's wishes quickly leapt to the forefront, and it is nice to know that there is a balanced perspective within the community regarding what's right and what's wrong. It's certainly not possible to please every single member here, but I know what it feels like to put the "perfect" jacket on for the first time out of the box, and to be able to provide that to a fellow community member trumps most all other considerations. I guess that for better or worse, the irony for all of us jacket addicts is that there never is the "perfect" jacket even though we all hope and believe that there is...you know, THE ONE jacket that we've all been collecting towards. Unlike with wives or girlfriends, at least we have one domain where it isn't morally frowned upon to have more than one favorite, and constant upgrading is a virtue and not a vice! ;)

I wonder if there is a correct medical term for our condition ?

Crack cocaine addicts? Is that the most addictive? .... or if there is anything else even more so, then we are THAT!!! I think I could actually manage to walk away from Narcotics! :D

John Lever

I will try to post some photos of how it fits. As I thought this jacket is made from Fenland sheepskin. I can tell this by the smell of the tanning oils, rather like a plasticine type smell, quite distinctive and not unpleasant, and by the amazing quality.
This makes the jacket even more special.

riskyB

Hi John,

How common are these ELC russet AN-J-4s? Did they Eastman make several runs of this model or was it fairly limited?
BTW, I was also interested in this jacket when it came up on Ebay. I wondered where it ended up. Glad to know it has a good home.

riskyB

John Lever

riskyB said:
Hi John,

How common are these ELC russet AN-J-4s? Did they Eastman make several runs of this model or was it fairly limited?
BTW, I was also interested in this jacket when it came up on Ebay. I wondered where it ended up. Glad to know it has a good home.

riskyB
Alan at Eastman can't remember having any made so numbers must have been very small, perhaps less than ten ?
Gary no longer does any custom work, and the tannery who supplied the skins has now closed so it's a rare thing.

John Lever

mindful said:
john shows us some pics when you receive it ;)
I've had the jacket for weeks !
I will try to get some taken today.
BTW has anyone ever posted pics. on TFL ? If you have and if you do a Google images search, then they will be all over the web. There are several of me wearing sheepskin jackets, so I don't post many pics. there any more. The only way to prevent it from happening is to delete them from the source [Photobucket]