• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC A-1's

spurs

I have a ELC B-6 .50CAL great jacket, so I thought I would like the A-1 .50CAL but looking at it on their site it seems very washed out. Does any forum member have one of these.I would like to know their opinion. I'm now thinking I might just go for the original A-1 as the leather looks so supple. Plus they don't have a .50CAL size 46" in stock. Thank you for your help.

Persimmon

spurs said:
I have a ELC B-6 .50CAL great jacket, so I thought I would like the A-1 .50CAL but looking at it on their site it seems very washed out. Does any forum member have one of these.I would like to know their opinion. I'm now thinking I might just go for the original A-1 as the leather looks so supple. Plus they don't have a .50CAL size 46" in stock. Thank you for your help.

Please do not go for the A1 in the 50 Cal version.
Go for the standard A1.

Its cheaper but leaving that aside when I saw the 50 cal version of the A1 on the Eastman booth at Flying legends last year I felt it was shockingly bad.
With wear the standard A1 it will be a great jacket for you.

Dr H

I echo Alan's comments - go for the stock A-1 and wear it rain or shine.
There's a 46 on EBay at the moment that would suit you (see EBay threads).
The ELC cape is great and will wear in after no time at all.

spurs

Thank you for all your help, I'll will go with your advice and the A1 stock but I'll wait until the summer, I'm going to replace my G1 so I will go for the ELC G1 Time Worn now these do seem good jackets. Thank you.

Ashley.

Roughwear

Ashley you might consider buying an original G-1 at a fraction of the price for an ELC one. They regularly come up for sale on Ebay.

spurs

Thanks Andrew,

Should I go for another G-1 or try a M422A is there any differance apart fom the colour, is the fit the same etc.

Roughwear

There is quite a lot of variety in G-1s depending on the date and maker and yes they differ from the M422A in many respects. John Chapman's flight jacket CD nicely illustrates the differences in terms of pocket shape, zips, lining, etc..

johnwayne

I echo Roughwears comment and you should go for an original G1 as think you'll struggle to find a really nice original M442/a in a modern larger size whereas you might pick up a good early G1 - go for an early as one as you can find ie a late 40's/50's version (as per ELC's repro is based on) as they will have mouton collar and scalloped pocket flaps like the M442a. As long as the shell is in good nick you can always replace the knits and collar and the zip if needs be.
A new G1 from ELC will need wearing in albeit I think their current leathers are relatively soft but nothing will better a good original!!!

cheers
Wayne