• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 50.CAL B-6

John Lever

I spoke to Aero about he worn finish. They used to do a similar look on a leather Levis jacket.
Apparently it is very labour intensive and the work force got absolutely sick of doing it.
I still think a really accurate period outer coating that wears naturally and even quickly would be better.
I think Andrew has a cuff detail photo of one of the Irvins he has for sale. The coating is cracked and crazed with a polished patina and looks nothing remotely like the Time Worn finish.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
It just seems to be a mistake, making it the only version available. Wasn't the redskin B-6 one of the best on the market?

As John is finding, buying an Eastman could soon be akin to collecting originals ... spending hours searching out those survivors from the ELC good period.

John Lever

Yes David,
There was a golden age, now unfortunately over. The early Anj-4's are excellent as is the superb B-3 Roughwear

Peter Graham

John Lever said:
I don't think they ever looked like that when they were made, with that flat finish.
You're right. I think Eastman are a bit confused and are trying to replicate what a 65 year old jacket looks like now rather than a worn jacket 65 years ago, if you see what I mean. Compare this http://www.eastmanleather.com/B-650CAL.htm with the photos below of an original B-6 I owned a few years ago. They look pretty similar. The finish is flat.

jackets001-3-1.jpg

jackets008-2-1.jpg

jackets004-2-1.jpg

Hawkeye

I think its a mistake to only be offering the "worn" leathers (ie broken finish and .50 cal). That being said, I think its just a phase and in a few years they will again be offering the choice of unworn leather again.

John Lever

Peter,
Thanks for the excellent photos.
Your jacket has the cracking, irregular shine and colour I mean. This makes the jacket look attractive because the wear is unpredictable and doesn't look contrived.
I think it would be possible to achieve a similar effect by choosing a different top coat applied thickly to encourage cracking and also to wear and polish through being worn.

marco77

Anyone have seen this jacket in person ? At Duxford for example ?
I have a doubt withe the colour of the 50cal B-6 ....

Thanks

Marco