• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 50.CAL B-6

dadgad

Why in the world they insist with this kind of workshopped leather ageing is beyond my imagination :?

rich

Why in the world they insist with this kind of workshopped leather ageing is beyond my imagination :?

I guess it sells - perhaps if a customer has never owned or didn't really know what a 65 year old jacket looks like, he might feel he was buying something truly authentic. For my tastes it needs to be done a little more subtly, then I reckon it could look good.
But you could always buy a non-distressed one for less and give it the Lever treatment....... ;)

havocpaul

There must be customer demand for these, I wonder what one with a little Pecards applied might look like?

Roughwear

John Lever said:
I have the felling they are headed down a blind alley. The older jackets are so much better !!

I tend to agree with you John. The older jackets do seem better, especially the very early Irvins! ;)

m444uk

John Lever said:
Great jacket, shame about the naff distressing...

And price... I can't believe there will be to many takers in the UK @ £575 for a humble
1/4" fleece that's been in a fight with some sandpaper :eek:

donsom

I predict that within the next year, they will return to their "roots" or re-focus on core business (quality jackets) ... making the aged look available as an "additional cost feature" rather than a standard feature/look. In that way, they can produce a quality "base model" with the perceived "value add" being the aged look. Costs can be further justified by having individuals personally choose the "amount" of ageing and be engaged in the whole process. If the aged look doesn't end up selling as well, then it is no direct loss for them and to their business bottom line. If it does, then all the better. That may be a better business model in the long run. This may not relate directly to the .50 caliber version, but to all the other versions which are now only available in "simulated wear" format.

Not knowing whole picture also makes it a bit difficult to relate. Changing to that format (sandpaper treatment) may have something to do with the quality of the leather, or the fact that after they sandpaper it, there will never really be any "imperfections". It would indeed be interesting to get "all the details".

See what happens....

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Remember, there's no waiting for this one to wear-in before you get it looking like a vintage original - it's got that right from the start. .50CAL B-6 is ready for action!

I don't get it, if I wanted one that looked like a vintage original, I'd buy a vintage original.

What's next? ... the deluxe version, with removed label, a torn cuff, artificial moth holes, and a liberal spraying with essence of body odour?

havocpaul

I think you'll find Buzz Rickson already go down that road with some of their jackets, as the Japanese market is now so active and profitable for repro makers that might be one of the reasons this type of vintage look is becoming more common. You can state with the 'time-worn' option just how much 'wear' you want. I would also add that for many years people have been moaning that some repros are too smooth and take years to break in, there are now choices!

havocpaul

m444uk said:
John Lever said:
Great jacket, shame about the naff distressing...

And price... I can't believe there will be to many takers in the UK @ £575 for a humble
1/4" fleece that's been in a fight with some sandpaper :eek:

The price is probably reflected in the North American sheepskin used, our humble Pound is still worth less than it was so any imported components are much dearer than they were. It is also why any GW jacket is extremely expensive now for any UK buyers, blame the economy not the maker(s).

nogbat

i own a 50cal a2 and it is a very well made jacket, good fit etc.. but it doesnt look faded to me at all. in fact it looks kike the hide has been over buffed and in some places the dye has run, so i think eastman are a splendid company .. but alas i dont rate time worn.. sorry gary personal preferences perhaps... :cool:

Peter Graham

I actually think it looks pretty impressive but it might be a mistake in making it the only B-6 option available. A B-6 is top of my wish list but I wouldn't buy a 50 Cal without seeing it in the flesh first.

asiamiles

deeb7 said:
I don't get it, if I wanted one that looked like a vintage original, I'd buy a vintage original.

What's next? ... the deluxe version, with removed label, a torn cuff, artificial moth holes, and a liberal spraying with essence of body odour?
But look at the jeans market. I mean, who buys some of the stuff out there...and why? I guess ELC are looking to attract a new type of buyer, especially with their garments now being sold in a Central London store. Making the jackets available in both new and time worn version would seem a more sensible approach though.

John Lever

I don't think they ever looked like that when they were made, with that flat finish.
Flat finishes do not repel dirt, grease and water. That's why yacht varnish is shiny.

Swing

asiamiles said:
But look at the jeans market.

That was the first thing I thought of. The worn look is in, and people want that look right now. They don't have the patience to wear in a pair of jeans over the course of months, and certainly don't have the patience to wear in a leather jacket over the course of years. They want to be fashionable NOW.

A B-6 with a worn finish, and fleece that looks brand new....? Almost as bad a denim with terribly false fades. :roll:

~Swing

CBI

The worn look is "in" and I think ELC has a good idea here but I am not really sure its "working". I love playing with my jackets to add some wear but it can be a disaster if one is not careful. My part of the country had limited cold spells so wearing a jacket in takes YEARS!

Perhaps if they can get the ageing down a little better (even the other 50 cal stuff) it might work. One thing (one od many) I love about Good Wears are that they develop some character pretty quickly. I think its a great selling point.

No question that worn-in has a style all its own. We all recall hearing the stories of young AAF pilots IN THE 1940's wrinkling/dirting up their new A-2's to look like experienced combat pilots.