• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ELC 1933 Werber Update

dmar836

So after George was kind enough to overnight the Werber to me in time for our London trip, it was worn every day pretty much all day. It was perfect for the London weather and felt comfortable day, night, indoors, outside, rain, sun. Silly as it sounds, I couldn't imagine the trip without it. The HH is very adaptable.
It had been worn a bit but not very much. None of my opinions of ELC or of this jacket are in any way directed at the prior owner who has been most gracious with getting it to me overnight at his own expense. Together we hit the size just right!! I hope George sells off a few more. I'll be in line for sure!
Here is a shot of it on day two.

IMG_6321.jpg

Here it is tonight after about 10 days of wear.

IMG_7012.jpg

I've mentioned in other posts how I don't care for the "time worn" effect ELC offers. I see areas already getting thin in color because 10 days of wear on top of the "Time worn" effect is well-advanced compared to the visible wrinkling and grain. Perhaps if wear is frozen in time but additional wear is gonna look worse, I'm afraid.

Here is the worn effect on the back. To me it has that 80's department store bomber jacket, dull-finish look. I really wonder what color will be left once the jacket is worn enough to bring the characteristic wrinkles out. You can see them forming at the top and bottom.

IMG_7011.jpg

Compared to the original RW on the left, the fake age really doesn't look appropriate. It's way overdone on the snaps and uniformly scuffed around all seams. This gives the color a very "thin" look. It's as if it is simply laid flat and everything proud is sanded uniformly. I don't really see this as a finish that is a "trade secret."

IMG_7007.jpg

Here's how the sleeves looked after 10 days of wear. You can see that the wrinkles develop quickly and that the scuffing is way ahead of the wrinkling.

IMG_7008.jpg

I really have to question ELCs decision to offer this treatment. Wonder what a redye would look like?

Here are a few action shots from the trip:

IMG_6690.jpg

IMG_6563.jpg

IMG_6487.jpg

IMG_6775.jpg

IMG_6875.jpg

Dave
Kansas City, USA

Weasel_Loader

I agree with your statements on "Time Worn". When it first came out, I thought it was an interesting idea and almost purchased a used '33 Werber like yours. That being said, I believe this jacket looks like a perfect fit for you.

Looks like you might be one of the few that prefer the collar snapped. ;)

dmar836

Yes, the fit is exactly what I was hoping for and would want to repeat if/when I get another repro.
I had it buttoned and unbuttoned on the trip BUT I'm now keeping it buttoned up hoping it will develop "squish" over a shorter time. Since originals have a way of settling into a formed shape(usually all snapped up), I want mine to pack in like that ASAP. Same goes for the pockets. I might be fooling myself but I also feel the front sees more creasing and breaking in when it's zipped as well.
Dave

Andrew

Dave, it looks very much like my 2008 GW! Have to say it looks great and if I didn't know I might have thought it was original.

dujardin

IMG_6875.jpg

cheerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrS

thanks for the coolllllllllllllll pics
your jacket looks great
byeeeeeeeeeee marcel

Falcon_52

Certainly there is nothing like real wear and tear but my non-time worn '33 Werber looks similar to yours after three years of honest use. Your jacket looks very nice to me. Maybe you could try some brown shoe polish to blend some of the very light areas?

Noel

dmar836

I might try the shoe polish once I no longer fear damaging something that is new to me. If wear stopped at this point, all would be fine. I am hoping the thinning of the color doesn't continue as the grain and texture becomes more noticeable. I know for a fact that HPA cannot accurately guess where folds and texture will form so would have a tough time wearing just the right spots. My ideas might change after a few seasons.
I now know why you guys have so many repros. This one, for example, feels lightweight IMO - adequate down into the 40s and up into the 70s. I'm sure others feel heavy. To try different weights and contract "fit" could be an addiction!
Dave

nogbat

is that beer you got in that picture , dave. :roll: :roll: :roll: i hope youve enjoyed your trip...

better duck

Yeh, the Time Worn on the ELC Werber isn't any good, especially when you see how quickly and totally natural the hide on those jackets ages. Mine looked very convincingly aged after about some six months of daily wearing it.

dmar836

Trip was awesome! We made it a point to get pub food every night. My wife keeps a coffee and beer log on all our trips. Sometimes it's staggering!
BetterDuck, Got any pics?

Dave

better duck

dmar836 said:
Trip was awesome! We made it a point to get pub food every night. My wife keeps a coffee and beer log on all our trips. Sometimes it's staggering!
Dave

Yep, here they are (I've posted these before, but couldn't find the old thread in between the myriad of posts, so here they are, solely for your benefit :D :

New:
IMG_2460A.jpg

After some 6 months:

IMG_2295A.jpg

And a couple of details:

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

And I assure you: all the result of just wearing it, no HWT, no wringing it, certainly no stonewashing or sanding.

dmar836

It's a 40. I was a little concerned as I tend to float from 40 to 44 depending on the jacket/coat. I'm 5'9" and about 165 lbs.

Dave

Grant

I've been on the fence about selling my old sz. 42 ELC Werber. It gets very little wear these days but I kinda like the way it's looking when I pulled it out of the kit bag after being in storage for a year. Looks like it's aging nicely.

werberfrontIII.jpg

werberback.jpg

Roughwear

better duck said:
dmar836 said:
Dave

Yep, here they are (I've posted these before, but couldn't find the old thread in between the myriad of posts, so here they are, solely for your benefit :D :

New:
IMG_2460A.jpg

After some 6 months:

IMG_2295A.jpg

And a couple of details:

IMG_3054.jpg

IMG_3053.jpg

And I assure you: all the result of just wearing it, no HWT, no wringing it, certainly no stonewashing or sanding.

It really has broken in well Peter and the aging is very apparent from your photos. I guess it has aged even more since you took the later photos. :)

better duck

Roughwear said:
It really has broken in well Peter and the aging is very apparent from your photos. I guess it has aged even more since you took the later photos. :)

Ah, well ... since the last photos were taken, the Goodwears entered my collection, and the ELC Werber hasn't (been) worn much since then. By far my most popular daily wearer is my GW RW 27752 in seal, which has aged really great. Second comes the GW Dubow 27798 in russet, which doesn't seem to age half as fast as the GW RW.

Roughwear

I can understand why you have been wearing your GWs Peter. I really like the '33 Werber and wear mine from time to time. The zip puller is made of a relative soft alloy and detached itself from the previous Werber I owned, so I'm always extra careful with the zip now!