• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman website photos

John Lever

Quite a few of the photos on the Eastman website are out of date and could be misleading for anyone wanting a 50 Cal or Perry B-3 and RAF Devon fleece. Gary is now using the older type shiny skins which is a great improvement on the dry papery types that were not very popular here. The Devon fleece skins are soft with very nice curly wool. The new 50 Cal. skin is very like that used by RMNZ a few years ago.
Some of the jackets now look completely different from those on the website and are not dry and dessicated. The house B-3 may also look very different.
I am unfamiliar with the A-2 range but I suspect some of the photos could be of an older specification.
It may be a good idea to ask for sample before ordering.

Persimmon

John Lever said:
Quite a few of the photos on the Eastman website are out of date and could be misleading for anyone wanting a 50 Cal or Perry B-3 and RAF Devon fleece. Gary is now using the older type shiny skins which is a great improvement on the dry papery types that were not very popular here. The Devon fleece skins are soft with very nice curly wool. The new 50 Cal. skin is very like that used by RMNZ a few years ago.
Some of the jackets now look completely different from those on the website and are not dry and dessicated. The house B-3 may also look very different.
I am unfamiliar with the A-2 range but I suspect some of the photos could be of an older specification.
It may be a good idea to ask for sample before ordering.

John well spotted. But have you opened up another Pandora"s Box of more Eastman " deceit" and " Fraud"

John Lever

Well I hope not, it is meant to be a post that may help people decide what type of jacket they would like to buy. Some of the new materials are a very big improvement, especially the 50 cal B-3. Here is a photo of the 50 cal skin/Perry seal skin top -
Perrycomparison_zps0093c1a6.jpg

The bottom skin is the old Perry type that is sadly unavailable.
As you can the new 50 cal is completely different to the photo on the website and is a big improvement.

m444uk

Seems to me the skins vary batch to batch but also there is quite a bit of variation on one skin. I've got a sample from 18 months ago that looks like your new Perry sample.
My own YMC jacket appears to date from September last year. The shop said that's when they took delivery. The front waist seal panel is broken grain type but the arms and wrists are not, using thicker and stiffer material.

I'm not sure having a vintage look website with warm desaturated colours does Eastman any favours. The jackets seem better in real life.
The .50 cal stuff I've seen is no where near as sand papered as their site suggests.

IMG_0880.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

.50 cal shop display

2.jpg

269sqnhudson

Is that the same with the RAF 40 & 42 pattern? I'd definitely go for a 42 pattern if it wasn't so papery.
(I've just emailed for a sample, I've held off from an ELC 42 pattern because I didn't really like my 40-pattern in broken-grain from 3 years ago)
T

John Lever

269sqnhudson said:
Is that the same with the RAF 40 & 42 pattern? I'd definitely go for a 42 pattern if it wasn't so papery.
T
Don't know why not call for a sample. Materials seem to vary widely between batches.

John Lever

Thanks Marco,
These are much better photos than the ones Gary uses. The natural light helps and the illustration of the more recent hides.
I like the prototype A-1... Ian ???

nogbat

they are good pictures ,,and must agree true to life ,,i must agree the elc site photos could be updated but if people are happy with it it up to personal choice ,, :idea:

John Lever

Just goes to show the power of the image.
The Devon Fleece looks good too. Notice the BoB RAF, older type skins as from 10 years ago.

nogbat

with the current elc site you could order a russet shade jacket and get a mid to dark brown jacket all very good quality stuff but not what you ordered ,the pics on website depict different shades and colours,,

mindful

the roughwear timeworn looks very nice and the buzz rickson number 7 jacket, thats looking very nice aswell all i can say is Christmas is round the corner :eek: