• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman RW B6

CryptoDave

I just recieved my Eastman Rough Wear B6 17756 Broken Grain jacket.

The jacket "looks" good, but feels very "thin". By thin I mean it feels like a piece of cardboard with fleece sewn to it, a bit stiff. Now this is my first experience with a fleece jacket so I have nothing to compare it to.

My question is, is this the normal feel and will it soften up with more wear? I was expecting a heavier jacket, but maybe that's normal for this model? Should I treat it with anything?

Thanks

Dave

John Lever

The panels on my Perry were same slightly flat looking. After a good feed and polish they look and feel much better.

mindful

i know i have a d1 from eastman which is different from the b6 but when i first brought it if felt very stiff and flimsy and very light weight for a sheepskin jacket but once you wear it in a bit the jacket will mould to you and the stiffness will go. as i was once told is to just wear and your love it ;)

CryptoDave

John Lever said:
The panels on my Perry were same slightly flat looking. After a good feed and polish they look and feel much better.

John

What do you recommend polishing it with?

Thanks

Dave

CryptoDave

OK so if this is the normal state of the Eastman B6 it strikes me as a slightly "cheap" jacket. Were the originals made of a thicker hide? It seems like there might be an opportunity for someone to come out with a better B6, or am I missing something?

John Lever

CryptoDave said:
John Lever said:

John

What do you recommend polishing it with?

Thanks

Dave
I feed my jacket with Glyptone and when dry polished it with Kiwi liquid wax. The resulting finish is darker slightly mottled and much improved.

John Lever

CryptoDave said:
OK so if this is the normal state of the Eastman B6 it strikes me as a slightly "cheap" jacket. Were the originals made of a thicker hide? It seems like there might be an opportunity for someone to come out with a better B6, or am I missing something?
The B-6 is a light weight jacket not like an Irvin or B-3.

Vcruiser

CryptoDave said:

B-3s are of heavier shearling(I think 1/2"+ fleece). D-1s and B-6s are lighterweight (around 1/4" fleece..if I remember correctly). They were issued as an alternative to the heavier B-3. Mainly for ground crew in the beginning.

mindful

i like the fact my jacket is lighter in weight because its still very warm and gives you more flexibility being light weight and i think the leather is lambs skin dont quote me