• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Hartman Jacket -- Opinions Needed

budajoe69

Dear all,

Was wondering if anyone on this board might have an Eastman Hartman jacket -- if so, would you mind posting your honest opinion about it, etc.

If you happen to have pics you wearing the jacket, that would be a much welcomed bonus.

Now that Eastman is selling direct to the US, and the $ is now better against the pound, seems like a good deal.

Thanks all,
Budajoe :)

slowdriver916

I've got one in steer that is almost 2 years old now. It my favorite jacket by a long shot. I didn't size up (40), but I only wear it over a t-shirt.

budajoe69

Thanks both for your replies and pics! Really appreciate it...That leather looks very supple from that pic tcwu...

I'm stuck going back and forth between this (best priced and quite stylish) or the new 50 cal, or even possibly the A1 (both slightly more expensive, yet also very stylish in their own right, imho)...with the dollar doing better, a lot of these jackets are now reasonable again for over in the States.

If anyone could or would give their take on a choice from those mentioned above, feel free...

All the best,
B

greyhound52

I really like the A-1 one of the best efforts by ELC. Didn't like the Hartman. Don't know about the 50 cal but looks like a nice jacket.

CBI

3 very different choices. I was able to wear a friends Hartman a few years ago. A very nice jacket but everyone thinks its a biker jacket. It just didn't have the aviation feel/look at all for me even though yes, if you are in to Luftwaffe things, it is a nice jacket. The 50 Cal I have only seen in photos. It looks nice but I would opt for one of ELC's original contract A-2's. The 50 Cal looks "off" to me from the neck line up. The collar looks really stuff with slightly "modern" stitching and there is too much raw leather showing under the epps (The sides of the epps). Again, from photos only. Since the 50 Cal is kind of an Aero pattern, my comments about the 50 Cal on VLJ resulted in me getting a Goodwear Aero A-2 which is fantastic. The ELC A-1 is a great looking jacket, I have the old ELC version in steerhide (I think) and I love it even though the current capeskin model is more authentic. I would be a little concerned about the softness of the cape and how it will drape on you. The photos I have seen of the capeskin ELC's have been great, I just like a bit more of a structured jacket which the older ELC patern has. The capeskin has a suede look to it that I don't care for (as authentic as it is) Of the three choices, I would go for the ELC A-1 but to be honest, I would untimately go for an ELC Star or 1401. I am assuming the exchange rate is making ELC attractive. To be completely honest, I would hold out for a Goodwear. I am wearing my Goodwears daily now that the weather is A-2 perfect and they are just the best. I hope to post photos of them all in about 2 weeks. In any case, good luck, ELC does make a great product, my older version A-1 (ELC) is one of my favorite jackets ever.

John Lever

Why not ask Gary for some leather samples ?
The Capeskin is very light when compared to steer and horse. When I got mine I was shocked at how light it was.

budajoe69

Gents, thanks for the additional comments...ah, what to do...what to do...

Indeed the choices are quite different...being in So. California (where it never gets that cold), I'm looking for a fairly light jacket that I could get some wear out of more than 5 times a year. Perhaps the A1 would fit the bill best, but now I'm wondering if the capeskin is almost...too light / flimsy? Anyone have some photos of an A1 being worn on hand, I'd love to see them.

There's currently a new ELC A1 being sold on Ebay right now, currently going for $400.00 last time I checked -- It's listed as a 46" and I'm a true 44" with wide shoulders...wonder how the fit would be? Anyone care to comment, please feel free.

All the best,
B

CBI

Good idea to get a sample. I think ELC and GW have done a fine job with the capeskin (based on the photos). The repro A-1’s look so much better (at least to me) than the photos of the original ones. At least for me, the period photos of pilots with A-1’s looks pretty bad. I’ll fitting suede shirts – yuck! Again, the current incarnations seem to address this issue pretty well.

It terms of fit - my old style ELC A-1 is a 42 and the fit is perfect - I am a 44R. As we all know ELC's sizing can be strange. With thier A-2's and A-1 I go a size down. With GW, I go a size up ..........................? I can't remember if the current one on eBay is the old model or new, if its cape, its the new(er) one.

greyhound52

budajoe69 said:
Gents, thanks for the additional comments...ah, what to do...what to do...

Indeed the choices are quite different...being in So. California (where it never gets that cold), I'm looking for a fairly light jacket that I could get some wear out of more than 5 times a year. Perhaps the A1 would fit the bill best, but now I'm wondering if the capeskin is almost...too light / flimsy? Anyone have some photos of an A1 being worn on hand, I'd love to see them.

There's currently a new ELC A1 being sold on Ebay right now, currently going for $400.00 last time I checked -- It's listed as a 46" and I'm a true 44" with wide shoulders...wonder how the fit would be? Anyone care to comment, please feel free.

All the best,
B

I take a 42 in ELC A2s but had to go to a 44 in the A-1 it is a tight fitting jacket so the 46 should work well for you.

A

Anonymous

Hi I emailed the guy with the elc A-1 (ebay auction ) and he told me the pit to pit size was 24 inch ,I take a 46 in elc but this one would be to small,IF THIS HELPS .Rgds Jeff

budajoe69

Yes, regarding the Ebay A1, the chest measurement seems ok, but a back length of 27" seems a bit long (which is what the seller provided me with) -- I'm about 5 11" -- you think it will be ok?

B

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
budajoe69 said:
Yes, regarding the Ebay A1, the chest measurement seems ok, but a back length of 27" seems a bit long (which is what the seller provided me with) -- I'm about 5 11" -- you think it will be ok?

B

No, that sounds very long, almost like he included the knit collar. I'm 6', and my non ELC A-1 is 24.5" .... I wouldn't want it any longer.

The A-1 will sit like a G-1. The back won't be pulled up by a slightly gathered knit, like it would on an A-2.

greyhound52

deeb7 said:
budajoe69 said:

B

No, that sounds very long, almost like he included the knit collar. I'm 6', and my non ELC A-1 is 24.5" .... I wouldn't want it any longer.

The A-1 will sit like a G-1. The back won't be pulled up by a slightly gathered knit, like it would on an A-2.

I bet that is what he did added the knit collar.

budajoe69

Thanks fellas...yea, I figured something was a bit off on the length...they must be counting the collar...we'll see what happens - again, thanks for the responses / opinions...

B