• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eastman Dubow

ZuZu

Eastman:

front - Copy.jpg

Original:

51E1678A-C3D7-405B-9869-031F67B5A3B1.jpeg

Eastman:

front.jpg

Original:

Dubow_Semple_frontcc.jpg

Eastman:

FCC2E327-BDF7-45AD-8220-BDA23845A6zzzE5.jpg

Original:

IMG_1583.jpg

Eastman:

Dubow4.jpg

Original:

iii.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1583.jpg
    IMG_1583.jpg
    706.7 KB · Views: 68
  • Dub2.jpg
    Dub2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 72

ZuZu

The Eastman Dubow is a great jacket beautifully made and of high quality. But as a copy of a Dubow it is not very good.

The collar is just way off. This is the most characterictic thing about a Dubow and the Eastman version is not right. I've never seen an original like it.

The pocket spacing is too far from the zipper. i know that some old Dubows may have pockets a bit further from the zipper but again I've never seen one as widely spaced as an Eastman Dubow and it is far from typical. The "normal" spacing for a Dubow is going to be close to the zipper- why copy the exception?

The epaulets on the Eastman are another miss. They are loose and active- the Xboxes aren't big enough so the epaulets lift off the shoulder like a Rough Wear or Aero. Not typical.

The overall shape is generic Eastman- sort of like their RW and some even look like their Star. This isn't necessarily bad for a jacket but if what you want is a WW2 Dubow the Eastman misses. Beautiful jacket- but does it look like a Dubow?

58CEE775-FC46-4C5D-B2DC-8CB3C2BA2BC2.jpg

Attachments

• FCC2E327-BDF7-45AD-8220-BDA23845A6E5.jpg
    FCC2E327-BDF7-45AD-8220-BDA23845A6E5.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:

mulceber

Seems like a very fair assessment, imho. I'd also been thinking that while the ELC Dubow looks beautiful, it doesn't look as close as close as Platon's repro.
Will any other manufacturers of expensive reproduction US flight jackets be the subject of one of your critiques Jeff?
Genuinely a good idea. I'd be interested in reading some assessments scrutinizing other major repro makers to identify areas where they fall short and how they could improve.

ZuZu

Will any other manufacturers of expensive reproduction US flight jackets be the subject of one of your critiques Jeff?

Yes- if you guys can stand it. I know I pick on Eastman but that's partly out of frustration that their jackets are so well made and have cool leather but seem to be rather generic. All the repro makers up to and including The Big Guy can use critiquing sometimes. I'll see if I can become less Eastman-o-centric:)

Micawber

Yes- if you guys can stand it. I know I pick on Eastman but that's partly out of frustration that their jackets are so well made and have cool leather but seem to be rather generic. All the repro makers up to and including The Big Guy can use critiquing sometimes. I'll see if I can become less Eastman-o-centric:)

You have an excellent eye for detail, as do others here. I would like to see the attention spread across the board with no exceptions.

A2 B3au

Looks similar to my BK Dubow, along with the similarities im seeing between yourself and the Hood.. sorry if rehashing an old joke..).. jacket looks great on you

Smithy

At the end of the day all repros are just repros. Yes some like John's are closer to the real deal but even his are still not facsimiles of the real deal.

Most ELC jackets look great and will pass muster with most - like Jeff says, beautiful leather and beautifully constructed. I think they look great. Perfect? No. But then let's be honest, no repro is a perfect reproduction.

You want perfect, buy an original.

If you want a repro then it's up to the buyer to determine the level of accuracy that they're willing to accept. TBH, I'm a pleb and lots of these in the weeds criticisms are way beyond both my awareness and what I care about.

Saying that, keep these critiques coming Jeff, I enjoy them and although the attention is to a level of deviation that is beyond what I give a shit about, it's good to see this kind of minute attention to detail.

I enjoy it even if it's beyond my level.

caddyd

And point to make the early 20960 Dubow contract had a collar stand, left pocket close to zip and smaller tag. But later Dubow contracts were minus collar stand, pockets further over and had a larger contract tag. So depends on what Dubow contract your trying to replicate.

Attachments

• DSCN5388.JPG
    DSCN5388.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN5391.JPG
    DSCN5391.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN5399.JPG
    DSCN5399.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN5398.JPG
    DSCN5398.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 85

Nickb123

I own the ELC Dubow (as pictured) and even I agree with Jeff. It’s a fair rendition of the jacket but it’s not on the mark. ELC collars have disappointed me. The Platons look more authentic. To be fair I think more than any other (maybe Aero’s Vicenza) ELC jackets just need to be broken in.

Mine is a Tall size which further distorts the look, but I don’t disagree with the above!

Great leather though. Probably the nicest I’ve seen. Also of note is whatever Talon they put on it is just butter.