• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early ELC RAF "Irvin", Merino Fleece.

coanda

I have just picked this up after I don't know how many years regretting having sold my original one....
This one has very very little wear, just a little cracking to the external finish.
The quality of these old Eastman RAF jackets is fantastic compared to the current offerings, with perhaps the exception of some of the late war "Devon Fleece" jackets as and when they have them available, (interestingly the fleece on this one is very similar to my own Devon Fleece)
I fear this one is a little on the short side for me??? Opinions?
What ever the case it is a beauty!
Regards to all
Rick
P1110505.jpg

P1110506.jpg

P1110507.jpg

P1110508.jpg

P1110508.jpg

P1110510.jpg

P1110511.jpg

P1110512.jpg

P1110513.jpg

P1110514.jpg

P1110516.jpg

P1110517.jpg

P1110523.jpg

P1110524.jpg

P1110525.jpg

Andrew

That looks great Rick and you can get away with it, but to be really honest you might look a little more natural in a size up. How do the dimensions compare with originals? I would have expected the arms to be a little longer (but I have a personal suspicion that ELC arms are always on the shorter side). As you know to get a longer body you need to go up a size. That fit looks a lot better than the 48 new version I had a few years back.

Smithy

Bloody lovely looking thing!

I saw a recent ELC the other day and TBH didn't think the outside finish looks as good now as they used to offer. My 2007 vintage ELC 1940 Pattern looks to be identical to yours although my fleece is the more compact standard offering (although on mine it's "opened" up a fair bit from a lot of wear).

Andrew Swatland or someone will know this, but has the exterior finish changed sometime over the last 5 or 6 years on ELCs?

Great Irvin Coanda and just in time for the approaching northern winter.

EDIT: the fit is not too bad, if it was me I'd want another inch or so on the body and arms but my one I ordered direct as an extra long (extra inch and a half on the arms and body). Saying that yours is well within the parameters of a "standard" wartime fit so I think you should just enjoy it. Plus a good old RN submarine jumper worn with it will keep the cold out of your lower back.

coanda

I suspect although I am sure John L can confirm this, but my estimate is this jacket was manufactured at least 15 or so years ago, they have become as difficult as the proverbial "hens teeth" to find nowadays! A longer size would great.... I guess I can keep looking!
Cheers
Rick

Smithy

coanda said:
I suspect although I am sure John L can confirm this, but my estimate is this jacket was manufactured at least 15 or so years ago, they have become as difficult as the proverbial "hens teeth" to find nowadays! A longer size would great.... I guess I can keep looking!
Cheers
Rick

Hi Rick,

This makes me think that they may have changed something during the last few years as the outer finish on mine is literally exactly the same as your 15 odd year old jacket, and I mean exactly. Apart from the slightly curler fleece, the hardware and it being a 41/42 Pattern, it could be the same jacket!

Cheers,

Tim

Roughwear

These early ELC Irvins really do look the part and are superior to the current 1942 pattern jackets. The sleeves are a little short and this is always an issue with ELC Irvins IMO. It would look even better Rick if you replaced the zips with original Dot ones! Overall a very desirable Irvin.

flyboy

Great jacket - and the fleece is absolutely fantastic.
Size and fit is a privilege we have now. They didn't.
Having said that, I think the body length is spot on (especially with a RB sweater underneath for warmth on the lower parts) - could do with a few centimeters at the arms - but still. No big deal.
Don't worry - Be happy! :D

A

Anonymous

Love everything about it.
Great jacket and looks very good on you. (or you look every good in it)
Either way.... enjoy!

John Lever

Yes the fit is all wrong..
Seriously it's amazing and I hope it's all you ever wanted. Sorry Gary but somewhere somehow you took you eyes off the ball..these early jackets are the bench mark. 10/10
If you ever decide to sell.....i
I think this production has two phases. The very early slightly matt version and the shiny one contemporary with the early RW B-3's. They can be separated by the zip tab, plastic or metal and whether the puller is made of several parts.
The jacket looks like one of those Porsche in a barn type finds that has been locked for 20 years.

Tim P

Its too short, Im a couple of inches shorter than you..I'll drive round and try it on and if it fits me we can talk... ;) ;)

dujardin

good catch

nice one

i like his colour

she looks comfortable

the fit is perfect. so; don't listen to others :twisted: :lol: :twisted: :lol: