• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dottie's Double

ties70

Probably the last canvas pic for the upcoming 19 years... :D

Dottie_BW.jpg

Sorry for the b/w shot, but the scanner screwed up with all this olive and grey shades...I will try to get a better colour shot tonight.

"Dottie's Double" was a B-24 from the 380th BG, 530th BS, and the pilot was Ed Crabtree, a friend of our fellow member Andrew. Some of you might remember Ed, as we funded a jacket and a 530th BS patch for him.

It is a practice piece, just to get a feeling for different painting and ageing techniques, size is roughly 16" by 12".

Ties

442RCT

Very nice :D ...a friend of mine wanted something like this painted on the back of his A-2. I talked him into one B-24 instead of a whole formation.

dujardin

splendid work again

if you were close to me, i surely request you to paint an entire wall in my house ;)
something in ''trompe l'oeil''

capt71

Ties,
Great work!! Thanks for posting it.
Here's a photo of "Dottie's Double" in Australia circa 1943 or 44. You can see that the nose art figure had changed slightly between the time this was taken and the reference photo you used. I don't have any idea when that changed. Curiously, the crew posing there is the crew of "Dauntless Dottie", another 380th BG B-24 (528th BS). Guess they posed with "Dotties Double" since they were "sister" ships (my dad is kneeling in front with the dog). I've also posted a painting (acrylic on canvas) I did recently of "Dauntless Dottie".
Bill

5391962246_b9c17e3030.jpg

5391423873_5ed62a5d4e.jpg

Andrew

Ties, I certainly hope it's not your last, these are great. Apologies I haven't spoken to Ed about this yet but i'll do it shortly.

I wondered how long it'd take Bill to spot this. Nice work as well!!

ties70

Bill,

thanks a lot for the info! Great picture!!

And yes, you are right:
The art work is a little different. When I started the work, all I had was a low-res, color reproduction version of "Dottie". All I knew for sure was the colour of the dress. So I borrowed an art work from pinup artist Baron von Lind and reproduced it roughly to catch the "Dottie" spirit...

Ties