• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

differences in fit between 422a and a-2

lcowboy30

Are there any significant differences in the fit between the 422a and the A2? I have a GW A2 and I find that motion is a little restricted in the shoulders, just wondering if the 422 is the same.

bazelot

No, it's not the same. The M-422a has a by swing in the back and that makes it more comfortable to wear. There is no restrictions at the shoulders.

better duck

Indeed. In fact, the M422(a) is definitely the more comfortable jacket. And that's coming from one who has both and has a huge preference for A2s, but that's for other reasons, like the historical background of where the jackets were used.

better duck

lcowboy30 said:
So, with the bi-swing back of the 422, there would be no need to up size for bigger shoulders like the A2?

Well..... I would be careful to answer that question with an affirmative. If you have exceptionally broad shoulders, the biswing of an M422 doesn't necessarily tackle that aspect. I wear size 44 / 46, both for M422 and A2. The fit on the shoulder breadth-wise is the same, it's the freedom of movement that distinguishes the M422 from the A2. It's like this: when moving your arms forward, all the room you have in an A2 is the "slack" in the backpanel; with the M422 the bi-swing construction literally swings into action and unfolds, thus giving you a lot of extra room to manouevre. But that has little to do with how tight the jacket sits on your shoulders. My 2 cents worth.

hacker

lcowboy30 said:
So, with the bi-swing back of the 422, there would be no need to up size for bigger shoulders like the A2?

You have to be careful in making a sweeping statement that all M422a's sized the same have the same shoulder measurements. For example a F.Ostermann, will have tight shoulders, just the way they were made, where as an Ed Church will probably have broad shoulders. The bi-swing back no doubt makes them more comfortable in any case.

Hacker

bazelot

lcowboy30 said:

Actually for me 18" shoulder to shoulder works fine but with a M-422A I need 19.5". Go figure that one out. Never been able to know why except that the fit is different.

Stony

Are there any significant differences in the fit between the 422a and the A2?

How about just any Navy jacket and an A-2? Totally different animals and not even in the same zoo.

Atticus

The Navy jacket will be more comfortable in the shoulders, but if you have any beer gut at all, it will be snug in the torso. The A-2 can bind in the shoulders, but will generally have more gut room.

AF

Peter Graham

No comparison. The Navy jackets are far superior. A much more comfortable and better designed garment in all aspects.