• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Differences Between G&F Contracts

Maverickson

Hi All,

Found that among my G&F M-422A jackets I see that there were at least two different contract numbers. Two of my jackets are labeled NO.NOs 416 and one is labeled NO. NOs 416-A. Does anyone here know about the differences between the G&F M-422A contracts?

Just looking at my jackets I see no appreciable difference. That exception is only noted with that label variation and as seen below.

Thanks, Dave

STEVE S.

the 416a was a redesign in the label to make it longer lasting over time! :lol:

maybe just an extension of the 416 contract? :?:

Maverickson

Hi All,

Currently, I've got four different G&F M-422A jackets. One of these is a new arrival and my current restoration project. This latest arrival is non labeled and am now in the middle of it's complete disassembly. As those existing and or original threads are well beyond ready for a total replacement. As a result I have had plenty of opportunity to compare this jacket with those others in my collection.

While dissecting this G&F and basically going over all of the ins an outs of this jacket I came to realize the most noticeable difference between G&F's 416 and 416A contracts. So in the end, I guess that I can answer my own question!

That most noticeable difference between these two contracts lies with the way the front and the back panel attaches to one another. As what I suppose to have been the earlier or 416 contract has it's front panel folding over that back panel and attaching over the top of that opposing panel. While on the later model 416A jacket that attaching method is in fact reversed.

This difference has more baring on the look of the jacket than one might first have imagined. As one method of attaching those panels ends up with a much smoother look than the other. As those back panels from the 416A contract incorporates a larger grouping of material in it's fold. Thereby slightly changing the profile of each jacket.

See the way those panels are attached below.

This is 416 contract seam with that front panel riding up over the back panel. Therein creating a smooth fold at that attaching point.

This is a 416A contract with the back panel riding up over the top of the front panel. This all together different method of attaching those two panels results in pleat assembling visibly bunching up over the top of the shoulder

While not earth shattering. The difference in the way these two panels are brought together is quite noticeable. So far, I do not see any other noticeable differences between those two contracts. Before I finish with this restoration something else may just show up.

Cheers, Dave