• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did WWII Aviators have any A-2 preferences?

WBOONE

Since most people on here may have a vintage A2 preference such as "Monarch Horsehide jackets are the best", or " Im a Roughwear goatskin man all the way", or maybe " You cant beat a vintage PerrySports Wear A2" I was wondering if anyone has any info on whether or not among the WW2 aviators that were being issued the original jackets, in say 1940 to 1944, if there was any expressed desirability on which particular contract was the one to get if possible. Were the Aero's a coveted jacket for some reason, or maybe the Bronco's? Are was it a case of: Who cares?, just take what they hand you at the quartermasters, hope it kind of fits, and be happy because there're all about the same? I realize that the jackets themselves at that time were not considered priceless relics to be babied and admired but standard articles of clothing to used and abused in the line of duty and tossed aside or relegated to the attic at the end of the war, more or less. Joe B

a2jacketpatches

Highly doubt it. Maybe russet as opposed to seal or something, but contract? I don't think so. Staying alive was likely their main concern.

Roughwear

There are few collectors of original A2s who actually post on VLJ and those who do rarely have a preference for just one A2 maker.

As far as WW2 is concerned the question is academic. A2s were issued in the stores according to whether they would fit the aviator, not according to contract preference. WW2 aircrew and pilots would not have had much or any understanding of the varieties of A2 contracts. It is only post War collectors who do. They just wanted a garment that fitted and was functional!

ausreenactor

The pilots would have known their size and asked for same, if a replacement was handed over and the fit was different then one up/one down would have been taken. Not even sure they would have looked at the labels or realized the different makers names would one day become the 'speak' of a sub-culture...

Jason

... and even if they did have a preference, I doubt they'd be able to make their own choice. It might be possible they could find some other serviceman in the same size soon after issue and do a swap, but that would be about as far as they'd be able to go in customising their choice of A2.

WBOONE

Yes i figured that most pilots reporting to the depot to be issued their A2 jacket that there wouldn't be much discussion over the contract makers " Hey this RoughWear is nice but ya got any Russet Star SportsWear jackets back there?" But i was wondering if as the war progressed, and thousands of jackets had been issued and worn, if any opinions over fit/quality had been developed among the pilots. Did one contract get a reputation as low quality/inferior and one as high quality cant beat it up? I do that among uniformed personnel such as firefighters---im a retired one--- that there has always been a certain preference over which gear is better. For example--leather or poly-carbonate helmet? leather or rubber boots? who makes the best firecoat and which ones are garbage so to speak.

Roughwear

I have not seen any documentary evidence that USAAF aircrew or pilots expressed a preference about the quality of A2s from specific makers. There is evidence that servicemen swapped A2s, for other items of kit, such 1936 flying boots when serving in England. Of course they may have swapped A2s on the grounds of fit. Such practices were against the rules as they signed for their issued jackets and were supposed to return them when they left the USAAF as they was government property. Of course many did not return them, but removed the labels so they could not be identified as government property.

Dr H

WBOONE said:
if any opinions over fit/quality had been developed among the pilots. Did one contract get a reputation as low quality/inferior and one as high quality cant beat it up?

As much as I love my GW Spiewak A-2, I could count on the fingers of one hand the number of original Spiewaks in goat that I have seen that haven't disintegrated into a pile of red dust.

Can't imagine that these would have been high on the 'high quality kit' list...

Roughwear

As no Spiewaks were more than three years by end of the War there were unlikely to have been any issues with the goatskin. I find the design stylish and practical.

Dr H

True...

I really like the design too - I'll be holding on to my GW.

A darker Doniger...

:)