• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did My G-1 Shrink ?

442RCT

I went digging through my G-1s the other day to see how many I had and it appears my Ralph Edwards in sz 40 shrunk !!!! My Imperials, Brills etc. in sz 40 fit just fine...but for some reason the Ralph Edwards fits more like a 38 than a 40 ??? What happened :?: :oops:
Before this I used to think that all G-1s unlike A-2s, which varied greatly by manufacturer, were pretty much standardized for sizing, I guess not.

hacker

Shrunk!....Sizing in G-1's can greatly vary. Some, like Foster can be all over the place in the same marked size. R. Edwards as I recall usually is pretty good on size.

Hacker

442RCT

I took some quick measurements of 3 G-1 jackets marked sz 40 and the Ralph measures and fits significantly smaller, especially the shoulder to shoulder, but for the fact it has a bi-fold shoulder construction, it would be too constrictive and unwearable.

Brill Brothers
Shoulder to shoulder = 18"
Pit to pit = 21 "
Back bottom of collar to end of waist knit = 25 "
Shoulder seam to end of leather on cuff = 22 "

Ferguson of Oklahoma
Shoulder to shoulder = 18"
Pit to pit = 20 1/2 "
Back bottom of collar to end of waist knit = 24 "
Shoulder seam to end of leather on cuff = 22 "

Ralph Edwards
Shoulder to shoulder = 16 1/2 "
Pit to pit = 19 1/2 "
Back bottom of collar to end of waist knit = 20 "
Shoulder seam to end of leather on cuff = 20 1/4 "

usafwso

I have a few size 40 G-1 jackets. Those jacket have remained the same size while in the meantime, I've grown. :(

zoomer

Don't forget the crucial G-1 measurement - the one you don't get unless you ask:
width of hide where it meets waistband.
There's no other way to tell how the body will fit.

Also - sorry, I know we've covered this, but I can't find it at the moment:
why do we include the waistband, but exclude the cuff?

442RCT

zoomer said:
Don't forget the crucial G-1 measurement - the one you don't get unless you ask:
width of hide where it meets waistband.
There's no other way to tell how the body will fit.

Also - sorry, I know we've covered this, but I can't find it at the moment:
why do we include the waistband, but exclude the cuff?

I've got short arms so I end up tucking the wrist cuffs under to make the sleeves fit. :roll:

442RCT

zoomer said:
OK, but that's just you. Is everybody you?

:lol: Nope, there's only one me...and the world's grateful for that. :lol: I just wanted to show the shoulder and pit to pit differences between the Ralph E. G-1 vs the other G-1s I own. The Ralph G fits like a 38. For the rest of the world, I guess you would add about 3" for the wrist knit part of the sleeve.