• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cwu-45/p Size advice

Hello everyone !

As the title suggests, I need your advice on the best way to wear this pretty flight jacket.
I first bought a recent CWU-45/p Nylon Alpha industries jacket in size S since the manufacturer's chart recommended it on its European website based on my chest measurement, (recommended from 95cm to 99cm)
I quickly got the impression that it seemed too fitted in appearance compared to the way real pilots seem to wear their nomex jackets which look baggy on the pics I have seen .
So I opted for a try on size M and there it seems perhaps too big... I think I'm between two sizes, hence my inability to make my choice!
My S is still large enough to be worn with a winter sweater without too much discomfort but the M is undoubtedly much more comfortable.
I am 1.70 meters (5.6ft ) and weigh 75 kg(165lbs) with a chest measurement of 96.5 cm, which is a size 38.
I noticed that the Alpha brand has voluntarily chosen to reverse the labeling of the sizes of its modern civilian jackets compared to those previously made of nylon and military nomex,
which means that an S today measures like the M before and the M today is equivalent to the L before and so on...
If I refer to this I should wear the modern S since it corresponds to the 38/40 Medium from before but why is it that the pilots seem to wear their jackets much larger than their size?
Could they ask to go a size up to be more relaxed and not feel too tight? Which explains why it seems to run so big on them...

Here are some photos to help me (yes I am wearing a slipper, shoes are prohibited inside my home) :p

Size : S
Screenshot_20240223-114156_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20240223-113948_Video Player.jpg

Size M
Screenshot_20240223-113757_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20240223-113641_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20240223-114802_Video Player.jpg

What choice do you think is best for me to wear it in a USAF regulatory manner?

For comparison, here are the current measurements of the modern Cwu-45/p Alpha nylon which you can compare to that of the old ones and even the nomex fight jacket.

Size S Shoulder :50cm (19,6 inch)
Chest 1/2 :59cm (23,2 inch)
Lenght :61cm (24 inch)

Size M Shoulder :53cm (20.8 inch)
Chest 1/2 :64cm (25,1 inch)
Lenght :62cm (24.4 inch)

Thanks in advance for your advice ;)
:cool:

Last edited:
In my opinion Small looks better. On the other hand, there is not much point comparing the Alpha versions to the originals. Alpha's are made for fashion, hence their fit is different. Quality? They are in different worlds if you compare to the original.
If you care more about authenticity, I would recommend you looking for an original on ebay, patience is the key.
Thank you for your precious opinion, you are probably right and the difference between nylon and nomex is not comparable, maybe it could modify the appearance even if the measurements remain almost identical but what is certain is that recent civilian alphas are only oversized via a simple change of size labeling. It was by comparing it to the old ones that I realized it.
A brand like Valley Apparels for example has remained faithful to military sizing on its nylon jackets. I can compare my alpha S to a size M from VA, it almost identical.
Maybe one day I'll consider buying a real one but I prefer a simple alpha for everyday use because I think I'd be afraid of damaging an original. :)

Crazy looking jeans !
How’d you wear out the back of the legs ?
Oh….. the small looks good.
Thank you for your comment, I simply bought this Jeans on the “Shein” website. My wife orders from it all the time, take a look you will surely find your happiness on it. ;)

I also thank all the other people who helped me make my choice, you are at the top on this forum ! I'm going to strut in Small hahaha :p
:cool:

Amaury