• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CVC tanker jacket vs CWU45/p

eamenos

Hello.

Wanna purchase a genuine U.S Army bomber jacket for the winters, and I've found two different ones: the CVC tanker jacket (1980 contract), and the Cwu45/P (year 2000 contract)

I know both are flame resistant, but what i'm looking for is how warm are they for the winter. Which one would be better for you??? Are the materials more resistant/better in one type than in the other one?

Regards.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

CWU-45 would be more comfy and their pockets are more practical than the CVC's. Both are very resistant but the shiny material of the CWU tends to snag easier than the material of the CVC. Still, I would choose the CWU over the CVC any day, looks way cooler.
CWU-45
95198E1B-9A49-4DBB-AB30-6141CF19F358.jpeg

CVC
3488FFBA-071D-4BFF-86CF-F8270349DC7E.jpeg

Last edited:

Rutger

The CWU (-36 and 45) breaths/ventilates notably less than the CVC, they keep humidity (sweat, condensation) trapped rather than getting rid of it through the cloth. Well, they're only meant to walk from the office to the aircraft, so no time to start sweating anyway....
My CVC's (winter and summer versions) are my go to jackets in both summer and winter, as both are better breathers. Very noticable during walks or bycicle trips.
As for containing warmth, they are the same.
The fabric of the CWU is more "sticky" to the skin than the cloth of the CVC.

The coolness factor, well, the CVC jacket won't win that competition.
Except the (green) CWU stains when raining.

Ah, yeah, the throat latch from the CVC : very practical when it's windy outside....

Oh, and there's a lot more sizing possibilities in the CVC jackets. small-medium-large-xlarge combined with short-regular-long.

Or buy the cloth version of the CWU (yes, legit issue). Valley Apparel, both tan and green.
It should breath better than the shiny versions.

Anyway, there's no choice actually: buy'em both.
Once you've found which sizes fit you well.....

917_k

Ill throw my vote behind the CVC. I’ve got both jackets and whilst the CWU-45 is nice, the CVC is incredibly warm and comfortable. I’ve worn the CVC in pretty cold weather (as cold as it gets in the U.K. which admittedly isn’t that bad) with just a t-shirt underneath and was very toasty. I think the CVC looks a bit cooler as well if im honest.

mulceber

Ill throw my vote behind the CVC. I’ve got both jackets and whilst the CWU-45 is nice, the CVC is incredibly warm and comfortable. I’ve worn the CVC in pretty cold weather (as cold as it gets in the U.K. which admittedly isn’t that bad) with just a t-shirt underneath and was very toasty. I think the CVC looks a bit cooler as well if im honest.

I vote for the CVC as well. I don't have any experience with them, like @917_k does, but just in terms of looks, I actually prefer the CVC.

MaydayWei

Another vote here for the CVC.
I absolutely adore the CWU. Indeed, it was my gateway drug into this expensive hobby.
That said, however, I've grown to prefer a slimmer fit on my jackets.
And on point of fit alone, I think the CVC must win out.
CWUs are usually too long in the sleeves and too wide.
As @Rutger points out above, the CVC comes in sizes x-small to x-large, all coming in short, regular, and tall sizes. In contrast, CWUs only range from small - x-large.
It's simply easier to find a perfectly fitting CVC given all its size options than it is to find a perfectly fitting CWU.
I for one had to tailor my CWU in small to fit. Yet, I wear a CVC in Small-short and its bang on.
Not to mention, when you put your hands in the pockets of a CWU you look like you have 'chicken wings' because of the angle of the pocket opening; unflattering.
CVCs, on the other hand, have slash pockets and you can put your hands in them like any other varsity jacket.

eamenos

I absolutely adore the CWU. Indeed, it was my gateway drug into this expensive hobby.
As @Rutger points out above, the CVC comes in sizes x-small to x-large, all coming in short, regular, and tall sizes. In contrast, CWUs only range from small - x-large.
It's simply easier to find a perfectly fitting CVC given all its size options than it is to find a perfectly fitting CWU.
I for one had to tailor my CWU in small to fit. Yet, I wear a CVC in Small-short and its bang on.
Not to mention, when you put your hands in the pockets of a CWU you look like you have 'chicken wings' because of the angle of the pocket opening; unflattering.
CVCs, on the other hand, have slash pockets and you can put your hands in them like any other varsity jacket.
According to the majority, I would start for buying the CVC. Referring to the jacket size, I'm 1.72m tall, and my chest is about 93-94cm (around). Which CVC jacket size you think would fit me better, SMALL-SHORT, MEDIUM-SHORT?? thanks

HackerF15E

The CWU (-36 and 45) breaths/ventilates notably less than the CVC, they keep humidity (sweat, condensation) trapped rather than getting rid of it through the cloth. Well, they're only meant to walk from the office to the aircraft,
I must have been doing it wrong; I have a lot of time in fighters and trainers wearing 45s during colder weather flying.

"Dress to egress" as the saying goes.

Spitfireace

According to the majority, I would start for buying the CVC. Referring to the jacket size, I'm 1.72m tall, and my chest is about 93-94cm (around). Which CVC jacket size you think would fit me better, SMALL-SHORT, MEDIUM-SHORT?? thanks
I've got three 1980 Gibralters. I'm currently 5'3 130lbs 37 chest. I take a small short and it fits me perfectly. I think for you it might be the small/regular as short would be too short in the body, and most likely the sleeves would be too short for you at approximately 22 and half inches. Always get measurements though, as sizes can differ by maker label.

Spitfireace

CVC's are one of my favourite casual jackets as they are comfortable to wear and not bulky, pretty much as warm as CWU-45. My only complaint if it is one, is that the velcro pocket flaps won't grab properly if there is too much lint on them. I guess that can happen with CWU's as well. I kinda think they could have used snaps instead, but not a big deal.

MaydayWei

I recommend a medium - regular

Rutger

I must have been doing it wrong; I have a lot of time in fighters and trainers wearing 45s during colder weather flying.

"Dress to egress" as the saying goes.

I know it is a flight jacket. Sorry if you feel offended by a touch of hyperbole, sorry if I made you feel I was suggesting it wasn't meant to fly with.

Last edited:

ausreenactor

CWU-45 would be more comfy and their pockets are more practical than the CVC's. Both are very resistant but the shiny material of the CWU tends to snag easier than the material of the CVC. Still, I would choose the CWU over the CVC any day, looks way cooler.
CWU-45View attachment 65134
CVCView attachment 65133
CVC every day of the week. Spend the difference on something for the wife.

flyincowboy

GET THEM BOTH ! you will enjoy them anyway . GOT A CWU 45 AND 36 love the comfort ofthe 45 when it's chilling, not to warm at all, the 36 is very light and a nice windbreaker.
The CNC doesnot look bad either look practical when you are scrounging around..

Last edited:

morne24

CWU-45View attachment 65134
CVCView attachment 65133
Hello J, kindly inform where would i be able to find that CVC jacket from? im in Berlin Germany. Thanks very much

Spitfireace

I vote for the CVC as well. I don't have any experience with them, like @917_k does, but just in terms of looks, I actually prefer the CVC.
Yup have to agree in this vintage post. I have three CVC's one used, one semi used, and one NOS still the bag with tags. That's how much I like them.