• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Current issue G1 qustion

PeterB

Hi

I am a newbie here so bear with me asking a very basic question. I have 3 Excelled G1s. The first is 2001 and the other two are from 2008. Looking at the net it looks like Pharr is the current contract holder but i have not seen any jackets from them later then 2005. So is Excelled still the manufacturer or are they both?

Other question is US Wings claim that they are the sole supplier to the USCG. Surely that can not be as the G1s that they are selling are not the same spec as the USN ones? Or is it a case of they supply the G1s as a private purchase to individual units?

Many thanks

Peter

Atticus

PeterB said:
Hi

I am a newbie here so bear with me asking a very basic question. I have 3 Excelled G1s. The first is 2001 and the other two are from 2008. Looking at the net it looks like Pharr is the current contract holder but i have not seen any jackets from them later then 2005. So is Excelled still the manufacturer or are they both?

Other question is US Wings claim that they are the sole supplier to the USCG. Surely that can not be as the G1s that they are selling are not the same spec as the USN ones? Or is it a case of they supply the G1s as a private purchase to individual units?

Many thanks

Peter

Welcome, Peter. I'm not sure who currently supplies G-1s to the Navy. In some years, more than one manufacturer has a contract. Pharr and Excelled are both recent suppliers.

I believe the G-1 used by the USCG is a bit different than the Navy version in that it has side-entry pockets. Not sure who makes it. At one point, Branded Leather (Orchard) did.

AF

Marv

From what I have read, it seems that PHARR were the sole supplier until 2013/14 and now it looks to be Cockpit USA that provides the G1 to the USN.

US Wings apparently supplies the USCG only with G1s but with the side entry pockets feature.

I have a PHARR G1 (unissued with the Contract and DSCP labels removed) which I picked up earlier this year for $175 which is not a bad quality jacket for a Government contract item.

I removed the chunky YKK zipper puller and replaced it with the modern Paper Clip style to improve the looks of the zip.

PeterB

Very many thanks for the replies. I spoke to Cockpit they supply the A2s to the USAF but not the the G1s to the USN.

Anyone seen Pharr jackets dated after 2005? As i said i have a 2008 Excelled so still confused.

Thanks again!

Peter

I am active duty and I have not seen anything but Excelled since 2003. I can let you know in a few months when the WX here in Maryland cools down and guys start breaking out their leather jackets.

PeterB

Many thanks for that info! Still puzzled re US Wings claim to supplying the USCG? I thought that the USN USMC and the USCG all get the same G1? As i said before the spec is different in the fur collar goatskin and side entry pockets none of these are on the Excelled? Do you think these are just unit purchase orders?

Marv

I think the USCG have there own budget so can afford to pick and choose their own supplier where as the USAF and USN do not.

When I was going through flight school and we were issued our gear, the Coast Guard went to the same warehouse as the USN & USMC guys and were issued the same Excelled jackets with no side entry pockets. The only difference is that USCG was on the inside wind flap and not USN. It is very possible that individuals had the stitching removed to make them side entry. I know a few Navy guys that have done it.

Skyhawk

Treetopflyer said:
When I was going through flight school and we were issued our gear, the Coast Guard went to the same warehouse as the USN & USMC guys and were issued the same Excelled jackets with no side entry pockets. The only difference is that USCG was on the inside wind flap and not USN. It is very possible that individuals had the stitching removed to make them side entry. I know a few Navy guys that have done it.
That's UNSAT! ;)

As far as I have seen in my years of service and collecting, the USCG G-1's are identical save for the USCG punched into the windflap.

The Navy Exchange (NEX, aka-PX/BX) sells Cockpit G-1s and I have seen aviators wearing those private purchased jackets. I have never seen an issued Cockpit G-1. The National Naval Aviation Museum also sells Cockpit G-1s in their gift shop. Albeit at $500 a jacket.

PeterB

Yet again many thanks for the replies. So perhaps Us wings might be economical with their claims? Perhaps they just sell to unit levels as a private purchase? Surely their spec is totally different to the current issue. Ie real fur collar and goatskin apart from the side entry pockets. Also i presume they do not have the DSCP labels?

Cheers

Peter