• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cooper G-1 jacket. Asking for opinions on price...

ButteMT61

Hi all,

I am looking at a Cooper G-1 that looks like it's a really nice jacket for the price. I'm basically looking for something of a cool weather beater in this style. Could you offer up some thoughts on the price? It's 250 Euro, and I don't know much about this jacket other than it's the right size and a good-looking jacket.

http://tinyurl.com/lsqpdvz

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

unclegrumpy

I have one of these in a 44L. These are about 25+ years old, and were sold in the Navy Base Exchange, which is where mine came from. They are essentially an issue Jacket with the addition of the extra color label....much like the USAF A-2s had back then.

The jacket you have pictured has had WW II stenciling and the patch added. Since these were sold in the BX and other places commercially, bigger sizes are out there. Typically, these go for about what other G-1s from this era sell for, meaning $75 to $200, with somewhere in the middle being the norm.

Lastly, my 44L is big for it's size marking....a 48 might be a tent.

Ian C

I've got a 46l that's from that line with the mouton collar. To me, it's better than their take on the A2, but I've got nothing to compare it with. Probably the most comfortable flying jacket I've got too.

unclegrumpy

I like my jacket too, but don't seem to wear it much. I bet if you watched for one on eBay, you would find one for a good price....plus I would hate to see what postage would be on this one from Germany.

ButteMT61

FlyingYankee said:
Way too high for a jacket you will probably not be satisfied with for long if you stay in the jacket game.

I'm in to stay, and I've been causally looking for a beater G-1 and liked the looks of it. But certainly I would not pay the asking price based on the info here. I just don't know enough about those so I asked. Beaters can be more enjoyable than the grails. Sometimes. :D

a2jacketpatches

I bought a couple back in 2000 give or take a year for little over 150- for the mouton collar. Bought them for painting and patching. Super comfy, I got a size up to wear with a sweatshirt underneath and the set up was great for the winter on Cape Cod. I also remember having to send them back right away to exchange for longs because I'm 6'1" so keep that in mind. The regulars just never felt right and I can remember Neil saying so but guess I had to find out the hard way.

MikeyB-17

I've owned half a dozen G-1's dating back as far as a Korean era 7823(AER), and all mouton collared versions, and sold all of them. I picked up a Dynel-collared version cheap, with a lousy EBay photograph. Illegible label, but consensus here seemed to think it's a Cooper. My favourite of all the G-1's I've had-hands down the nicest goatskin of all of them. I may change the collar one day, and although the cuffs are shot it makes the jacket much easier to shrug off. Atticus told me I'd love it, and he was right. Only cost me forty quid, mind.