• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool M1 Helmet found today

a2jacketpatches

I asked about this on USMF but not much of a response, that's usually a good thing. If it was a questionable piece in any way shape or form, everybody and his brother would be slinging speculation and criticism at it. Pics aren't that great so here's what the brass plate says and what little info I could come up with.

United Nations Command - UNC

Eighth Uinted States Army - EUSA

U.S Army Aviation School Motto - "ABOVE THE BEST"

And all I could find regarding ABN GAWEDA was some info on Command Sgt Major Gaweda of the 18th Airborne Corps. Quite a history on this guy found here -
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/oc ... %20Bio.pdf

Brass plate says -

CPT J.D. JOHNSON

CO UNC EUSA HONOR GUARD

"ABOVE THE BEST"

FROM (ABN) GAWEDA

DEC 71

Pictures -

Andrew

Wow, amazing looking piece. Certainly not stealth

I was just showing my boys my Viet era Aussie M1 before bed tonight. It belonged to a childhood mates Dad who was a Nasho and he traded it with me in the mid 70's. Makes it look quite plain.

a2jacketpatches

I'll get some better photos and put a few more up. The interesting thing here is that it says CPT. J.D. Johnson and 6 years after this helmet was dated Lt. General J.D. Johnson was commanding the very same unit, the entire Eighth United States Army in Korea. And being FROM (ABN) GAWEDA as stamped on the brass tag, could it be Command Sergeant Major Tadeusz Gaweda of the 18th Airborne Corps? It almost seems crazy to assume not. Calling U.G and Couchy!!!!