• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Converse 100th Anniversary Flight Jacket Baseball Shoes

asiamiles

Happened upon, and purchased, these today. An incredible homage to the cloth B-10/B-15 flight jacket in the form of Converse Jack Purcell baseball shoes, these were part of their last winter collection, and are now gone from most stores. I'm guessing were made for the Japanese market only? If anyone needs any I know of one shop that still has some stock, so feel free to drop me a message, but you may need to act quickly. They are also available in black.
converse.jpg

kevlarg

Those are pretty cool. Certainly they look much warmer than a standard pair of Purcells. How much are they selling for over there?

asiamiles

Someone already asked me about a price and I said I should be able to do them for around $150 incl. shipping and fees (Paypal, my travel costs to the store etc). That's if I can get your size. But I'm happy to accomodate you re. shipping and payment methods etc. so that total's not set in stone.

johnwayne

Very interesting - having been a wearer of Converse for more years than I care to admit (as a clue I paid £5 for my first ever from the one London shop hat sold them - I've still got some US made ones) not sure I'd go for these - to each his own I guess but, please, why does everyone refer to them as Baseball boots? They are and have always been Basketball boots/shoes!!

Wayne

kevlarg

johnwayne said:
Very interesting - having been a wearer of Converse for more years than I care to admit (as a clue I paid £5 for my first ever from the one London shop hat sold them - I've still got some US made ones) not sure I'd go for these - to each his own I guess but, please, why does everyone refer to them as Baseball boots? They are and have always been Basketball boots/shoes!!

Wayne

Well not to get technical here but Jack Purcell was a professional badmiton player :?

asiamiles

johnwayne said:
Very interesting - having been a wearer of Converse for more years than I care to admit (as a clue I paid £5 for my first ever from the one London shop hat sold them - I've still got some US made ones) not sure I'd go for these - to each his own I guess
Actually, I'm not crazy about the fronts on the Jack Purcell's. As for the flight jacket top, it's hidden by your jeans when wearing them. But actually they look pretty good on, otherwise I wouldn't have bought them.

but, please, why does everyone refer to them as Baseball boots? They are and have always been Basketball boots/shoes!!
Sorry, I know very little about American sports clobber.

Well not to get technical here but Jack Purcell was a professional badmiton player
I was going to write "sneakers" but never liked that American word for what we Brits have always called "training shoes" but these obviously aren't training shoes. So regular Converse All-Stars are basketball boots (or shoes if low ones), while JP's are badminton boots?

zoomer

One and a half bills for fur and alpaca lined...canvas???? :roll:

Geez a pete, I'd pay that much for a half@ss A-6 repop if anyone would make one.

nored404.jpg

A-6 on left. Shearling on top, rubber on bottom, zipper closure. What could be simpler?

asiamiles

zoomer said:
One and a half bills for fur and alpaca lined...canvas???? :roll:

Geez a pete, I'd pay that much for a half@ss A-6 repop if anyone would make one.

nored404.jpg

A-6 on left. Shearling on top, rubber on bottom, zipper closure. What could be simpler?

Personally, given the choice, I'd much rather have the Converse to wear than those A-6 boots. The $150 (the retail price for Buzz's athletic shoes) estimate included all the add-on's (Paypal fees, my expenses to get to the store to buy them) plus insured shipping. The $90-ish retail price for the footwear is the average price for the Converse specials and, I think, their leather All-Stars in Japan...some probably cost more. For comparison,the RRP for this year's new models is around $60, while you can usually pick up the bog-standard black ones for $40. I just paid just under $50 (discounted) for a pair of high-tops in the colour of my choice.

asiamiles

After checking for a member, I can report that (at least at the shop I know about) the largest size left in stock is 26.5.

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
After checking for a member, I can report that (at least at the shop I know about) the largest size left in stock is 26.5.

And those of you who have missed out - count your blessings. Great sneakers spoiled by some VERY dodgy fur and alpaca IMVHO :eek:
J_H

asiamiles

zoomer said:
Of course, I spend winter in Iowa, so YMMV. ;)
Knowing next to nothing about the weather in the US away from the extremes of either coast (NY and CA) I take it this means you have very cold winters!

zoomer

Yep.

(Count yourself lucky knowing nothing of the US outside NY and LA. This is the current definition of sophisticated.)

asiamiles

zoomer said:
(Count yourself lucky knowing nothing of the US outside NY and LA. This is the current definition of sophisticated.)
I did spend a week in Arizona as well, one time. That most definitely wasn't cold, and while I guess perhaps not considered "sophisticated" was fun nevertheless.

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
JACKET_ HEAD said:
Great sneakers spoiled by some VERY dodgy fur and alpaca IMVHO

Well, like everyone, you're certainly entitled to it. Personally, I really like them.

Absolutely !!

But I reckon at the rate that feet sweat, I'll be able to track you whilst wearing a blindfold 3 days after you've passed me by !! :lol: and that's after the first day of wear !!

J_H

chicken

Definitely looks like a pair of a Japanese joint.

Here are some quick pics of one of my Japanese pairs, with ribbings, for example:

IMG_0638.jpg

IMG_0639.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

But as you can see in this last pic, the funky part is always hidden when I'm wearing them. Been getting lots of good feedback at work because people are digging the colors.

zoomer

chicken said:
the funky part is always hidden when I'm wearing them.
There are these things called "shorts" you might wanna check out...many come in suntan and would harmonize nicely with the shoos.

chicken

^ Heh. I'm actually not the biggest fan of the ribs, so I prefer them hidden when I'm wearing them. But I like the fact that there are these unexpected ribs when I have them off. If that makes any sense.