• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cold War, Hot Jets

Cobblers161

Have any of you guys seen the BBC Series Cold War, Hot Jets?

Not only is it a fascinating programme choc-a-bloc with original footage of what could easily be termed as the golden age of flight we are also given a thorough insight into the presenters wardrobe. It appears James Holland has a taste for repro cloth.

So far I have seen an M-41, N-1, a USN Parka whose name I forget but I absolutely love and now, on the second episode, a shawl collar number.

I initially assumed they'd be Buzz Rickson's but the throat tab on the N-1 is too long.

Any ideas on the jacket makers?

Gotta admit to being just a little envious.

stevetfire

Very interesting series, great footage of the Vulcan being barrel rolled on its maiden display by its pin stripe suited test pilot :D ,.... I would say the N1 is almost certainly an original and I quite liked the shawl collar number as well .. Not sure what it was tho ....well worth a watch fellas

Cobblers161

Yeh the N-1 looked a little gnarled around the edges it wa the smaller collar profile and elongated throat tab that got me thinking.

I was absolutely smitten by the USN single breast pocket parka.

Loved the Vulcan shot too, there is so much wonderful footage in there, you have to give the BBC great credit for it, we'll worth the fee in my humble opinion.

Peter Graham

I saw it last week. Great programme. Missed the first one unfortunately so I must have missed the USN parka. The shawl collar number was a 1941 model US Army Mackinaw jacket. Originals of these are not big money and a lot of the repro makers do them too.

Peter Graham

stevetfire said:
Yes that's it Ian, looks like James Holland has our disease :lol: :lol:
It's on bbc iplayer Pete if that's any good to you

Cheers Steve. Ian, they can be had a lot cheaper than that one if you look around.

Peter Graham

Dr H said:
Thanks Pete, but with a watch cap my N-1 should keep me warm!
There's no doubt about that. I've never owned a mackinaw although it's one of those jackets I keep eyeing up. This thread has sparked my interest again so I'm sure one will end up in my wardrobe sooner or later.

asiamiles

Thanks for the heads up re. this programme. Just watched the first one, and really enjoyed it; downloading the second as I write.

I very much doubt any of the jackets worn by the presenter were originals; the fact he seemed to be showing them off by wearing several different models suggests to me they were probably all from a single supplier, but I don't recognize the maker. I don't think I've ever seen that parka before and despite the USN stencil I wonder if it was an issued coat?

chamboid

Just started wearing my original doe skin mackinaw quite a bit. Wasn't sure at first, was going to move it on, but love it now. See if I can get some picks up