• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cockpit B3's

John Lever

After several months, Jacky Clyman finally sent some detailed photos to me. The hides look interesting and the overall look is good, apart from the buckles and the too evenly distressed and cracked surface on one of the jackets. They could be a good alternative to the more expensive imports for American members.
100 mission jacket-
Z21A013_frt_m07_lg.jpg

Z21A013_2.jpg

Z21A013_3.jpg

Z21A013_4.jpg

Z21A013_5.jpg

Z21A013_8.jpg

Z21A013_1.jpg

Museum Quality B3 -

Z213374_frt_m07_lg.jpg

Z213374_1.jpg

Z213374_2.jpg

Z213374_3.jpg

Z213374_5.jpg

Z213374_8.jpg

Z213374_9.jpg

Though not quite in the same bracket as offering from NZ/Japan, they are around half the price.

Chandler

Isn't Flight Suits making a B-3 these days? Anyone seen one? Judging by my FS A-2 in contrast to my old Avirex A-2, I'd think an FS B-3 might be a better bargain at a similar price. JMO.

Chandler

MikeyB-17

The 'Museum Quality' one doesn't look too bad, apart from the obvious departures. The cuffs look a bit wide, but otherwise not bad on the whole. Better than some of the monstrosities Avirex have perpetrated in the past. The '100 Mission' is 'orrible though. As you say, not bad for the money.

Hawkeye

At least they distressed both the surface leather and the connecting trim. Some manufacturers when putting out a "distressed" jacket beat the crap out of the skin, while leaving the remaining leather trim looking brand spanking new.

John Lever

They are available now from the website. I like both of them, I don't care if they used to be Avirex, they look pretty good to me for the price. I know the buckles are c**p but they might change them if they were asked to. I even like the 100 mission jacket.
Here's the site -
http://www.cockpitusa.com/home.php
If any one would like more info just ask.

JRaptor

I dealt with Jackie Clyman about 15 years ago on one of the museum grade B-3's and she is NOT a very nice person to deal with, in fact she was a real a**hole. Also, she wanted the full amount up front to have the jacket made as that is the way they did it back then, I think they have them made in small batches now and for $1250.00 why not just get an Eastman. The ELC is actually a little less in price and 10 times better in quality!

Now I now someone is going to say Eastman this or RMNZ that, but for that kind of money don't you want accuracy and authenticity.

John Lever

Interesting. I have had the same issues with upfront payment when I showed interest several years ago. she has been very polite in her messages, if rather slow i.e. months, to answer.
I did buy a Museum Quality B3 from Aero USA. It was a redskin version and a forum member who knows his onions said it was superb.

zoomer

These folks would rather deal with retailers any day of the week. They're not used to having to listen to end-users, so their time is money to them in a way it isn't to a custom maker. For four figure prices, I say deal with a custom maker.

havocpaul

Also American Classics in Covent garden have been stocking Cockpit jackets recently...seem to be replacement stock for the lack of Buzz Rickson jackets there.

ww2imp

JRaptor said:
I dealt with Jackie Clyman about 15 years ago on one of the museum grade B-3's and she is NOT a very nice person to deal with, in fact she was a real a**hole. Also, she wanted the full amount up front to have the jacket made as that is the way they did it back then, I think they have them made in small batches now and for $1250.00 why not just get an Eastman. The ELC is actually a little less in price and 10 times better in quality!

Now I now someone is going to say Eastman this or RMNZ that, but for that kind of money don't you want accuracy and authenticity.

We are a retailer for Cockpit USA and we would be happy to make your purchase more comfortable.

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/aircorp.html

regius

Anyone care to do a review on Cockpit's Pearl Harbour and or 100 mission B3? Stallone wears it well! Doens't seem to be bulging as the other repro. I know Cockpit is more modern in their A2s (even the repros), so I wonder if the B3 is also more athletic. Note that Sly raised his arm without lifting the jacket at all, this is not the case with even Eastman.

Bombing IP

This is a good post with many angles to think about ,
1. Manufacturer trying to entice the common man and the enthusiast with a lot of knowledge (hard to do both well )
2 A hard type of jacket to sell when 100% accurate because we do not live at 30,000 feet
3 Most people including me are disappointed with the look once you try it on because it makes you look like the Michelin man
4 Very limited in use time ,here in New York we drive mostly and could not wear this ,its a jacket for walking in cold weather
5 When you arrive you have to hold on to it as it a rich target for a thief .
6 Sly looks good in the picture /but I suspect its not as thick as many on offer .

Bombing IP

Tim P

If considering the at times quite marked departures from authenticity which is an undeniable issue with these type of jackets, the what price glory offering always seems to me to be the pennywise option to take.
Cockpit are pricey and their claims of gold standard jackets may be backed up with gold standard pricing but these claims only beguile the casually interested. Few on here fit that bracket

regius

I agree about the Cockpit being overpriced and too full of themselves. Can't imagine how they survive.